May 14, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
Prior to this season, Rick Nash‘s playoff experience in the National Hockey League totaled four games.
Those all came in the spring of 2009, when Nash and his former team, the Columbus Blue Jackets, were swept in the first round.
Nash, now a member of the New York Rangers, is off to the second round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
On Monday, the Rangers dismantled the Washington Capitals on the road by a score of 5-0.
Nash recorded an assist on Michael Del Zotto‘s goal in the early stages of the second period that gave the Rangers a commanding 3-0 cushion.
Nash and the Rangers are moving on to the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Boston Bruins. Original Six.
It’s also another chapter in the historic and ongoing rivalry between Boston and New York.
This is unfamiliar territory for the former first overall pick from the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.
“I didn’t think it would take 10 years,” Nash told the New York Times. “It’s what I wanted in my career, to have a chance to play in the playoffs and to play in games that mean a lot.”
Now, the key will be to get the 28-year-old Nash going offensively.
He didn’t score a goal the entire series against the Capitals and had just two assists.
Dating back to 2009, Nash only has one goal and five points in 11 career NHL playoff games.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)