May 14, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Just for fun, I thought we’d piggyback off a poll question they’re asking today on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver following last night’s Maple Leafs meltdown in Boston.
The poll question is:
What’s harder — being a Leafs fan, or being a Canucks fan?
At last glance, it was a dead heat at 50 percent each. Which makes sense, because it’s been pretty hard to be a fan of either team.
For Leafs fans, not only did they have to suffer through seven straight seasons of missing the playoffs, when they did finally make them, it ended in nightmare fashion. Toronto is the richest team in the league. It should be a powerhouse.
But hey, at least the Leafs have won the Stanley Cup before (the last one came in 1967, the last year there were only six teams in the NHL). Canucks fans have never been able to celebrate a championship, despite three trips to the finals, two of which went to Game 7. Vancouver is also one of the most hated teams in the league, meaning when the Canucks lose, there’s not a ton of sympathy from other fans.
Of course, Toronto and Vancouver aren’t the only places where hockey fans have agonized over their teams:
—- St. Louis, Buffalo and Washington have never won the Stanley Cup despite being in the league since 1967, 1970, and 1974, respectively
—- Columbus has only made the playoffs once since entering the league in 2000, and has never won a series
—- Florida hasn’t won a series since 1996 and has only been to the playoffs four times in franchise history
—- The Coyotes and Islanders have been consistent laughingstocks for their off-ice issues
—- Flyers fans might have a few complaints about their goaltending through the years
OK, so have your say below. Think of this as group therapy maybe.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)