May 14, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Just for fun, I thought we’d piggyback off a poll question they’re asking today on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver following last night’s Maple Leafs meltdown in Boston.
The poll question is:
What’s harder — being a Leafs fan, or being a Canucks fan?
At last glance, it was a dead heat at 50 percent each. Which makes sense, because it’s been pretty hard to be a fan of either team.
For Leafs fans, not only did they have to suffer through seven straight seasons of missing the playoffs, when they did finally make them, it ended in nightmare fashion. Toronto is the richest team in the league. It should be a powerhouse.
But hey, at least the Leafs have won the Stanley Cup before (the last one came in 1967, the last year there were only six teams in the NHL). Canucks fans have never been able to celebrate a championship, despite three trips to the finals, two of which went to Game 7. Vancouver is also one of the most hated teams in the league, meaning when the Canucks lose, there’s not a ton of sympathy from other fans.
Of course, Toronto and Vancouver aren’t the only places where hockey fans have agonized over their teams:
—- St. Louis, Buffalo and Washington have never won the Stanley Cup despite being in the league since 1967, 1970, and 1974, respectively
—- Columbus has only made the playoffs once since entering the league in 2000, and has never won a series
—- Florida hasn’t won a series since 1996 and has only been to the playoffs four times in franchise history
—- The Coyotes and Islanders have been consistent laughingstocks for their off-ice issues
—- Flyers fans might have a few complaints about their goaltending through the years
OK, so have your say below. Think of this as group therapy maybe.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)