May 14, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Just for fun, I thought we’d piggyback off a poll question they’re asking today on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver following last night’s Maple Leafs meltdown in Boston.
The poll question is:
What’s harder — being a Leafs fan, or being a Canucks fan?
At last glance, it was a dead heat at 50 percent each. Which makes sense, because it’s been pretty hard to be a fan of either team.
For Leafs fans, not only did they have to suffer through seven straight seasons of missing the playoffs, when they did finally make them, it ended in nightmare fashion. Toronto is the richest team in the league. It should be a powerhouse.
But hey, at least the Leafs have won the Stanley Cup before (the last one came in 1967, the last year there were only six teams in the NHL). Canucks fans have never been able to celebrate a championship, despite three trips to the finals, two of which went to Game 7. Vancouver is also one of the most hated teams in the league, meaning when the Canucks lose, there’s not a ton of sympathy from other fans.
Of course, Toronto and Vancouver aren’t the only places where hockey fans have agonized over their teams:
—- St. Louis, Buffalo and Washington have never won the Stanley Cup despite being in the league since 1967, 1970, and 1974, respectively
—- Columbus has only made the playoffs once since entering the league in 2000, and has never won a series
—- Florida hasn’t won a series since 1996 and has only been to the playoffs four times in franchise history
—- The Coyotes and Islanders have been consistent laughingstocks for their off-ice issues
—- Flyers fans might have a few complaints about their goaltending through the years
OK, so have your say below. Think of this as group therapy maybe.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)