May 14, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Dressed in a black Nike t-shirt that read “Where the —– is the finish line?”, Alex Ovechkin met with the Washington media today, one day after his Capitals were eliminated by the New York Rangers.
How could Ovechkin explain what happened to the Capitals, who despite their high-powered offense couldn’t even muster a goal in Games 6 and 7 losses?
Answer: Henrik Lundqvist.
“Almost one guy beat us,” said Ovechkin, per CSN Washington. “Of course they have a good team. They have great players, a great defensive team. But the goalie out there was unbelievable. It was like he was best in the league.”
Ovechkin, who led the NHL with 32 goals during the regular season, only managed to beat Lundqvist once on 30 shots.
As for Ovechkin’s suggestion following Game 7 that the refereeing favored the Rangers in Game 6 because the NHL “wanted” the series to go the distance?
“That’s not my call,” he said today. “I don’t skate with a whistle. I skate with a stick. My job is to play the game and somebody else’s job is to look at the game and make decisions. … I said everything last night.”
Ovechkin will now travel overseas to represent Russia at the World Championships in Sweden and Finland.
Image via Stephen Whyno, Washington Times
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)