May 14, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Dressed in a black Nike t-shirt that read “Where the —– is the finish line?”, Alex Ovechkin met with the Washington media today, one day after his Capitals were eliminated by the New York Rangers.
How could Ovechkin explain what happened to the Capitals, who despite their high-powered offense couldn’t even muster a goal in Games 6 and 7 losses?
Answer: Henrik Lundqvist.
“Almost one guy beat us,” said Ovechkin, per CSN Washington. “Of course they have a good team. They have great players, a great defensive team. But the goalie out there was unbelievable. It was like he was best in the league.”
Ovechkin, who led the NHL with 32 goals during the regular season, only managed to beat Lundqvist once on 30 shots.
As for Ovechkin’s suggestion following Game 7 that the refereeing favored the Rangers in Game 6 because the NHL “wanted” the series to go the distance?
“That’s not my call,” he said today. “I don’t skate with a whistle. I skate with a stick. My job is to play the game and somebody else’s job is to look at the game and make decisions. … I said everything last night.”
Ovechkin will now travel overseas to represent Russia at the World Championships in Sweden and Finland.
Image via Stephen Whyno, Washington Times
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)