May 14, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Dressed in a black Nike t-shirt that read “Where the —– is the finish line?”, Alex Ovechkin met with the Washington media today, one day after his Capitals were eliminated by the New York Rangers.
How could Ovechkin explain what happened to the Capitals, who despite their high-powered offense couldn’t even muster a goal in Games 6 and 7 losses?
Answer: Henrik Lundqvist.
“Almost one guy beat us,” said Ovechkin, per CSN Washington. “Of course they have a good team. They have great players, a great defensive team. But the goalie out there was unbelievable. It was like he was best in the league.”
Ovechkin, who led the NHL with 32 goals during the regular season, only managed to beat Lundqvist once on 30 shots.
As for Ovechkin’s suggestion following Game 7 that the refereeing favored the Rangers in Game 6 because the NHL “wanted” the series to go the distance?
“That’s not my call,” he said today. “I don’t skate with a whistle. I skate with a stick. My job is to play the game and somebody else’s job is to look at the game and make decisions. … I said everything last night.”
Ovechkin will now travel overseas to represent Russia at the World Championships in Sweden and Finland.
Image via Stephen Whyno, Washington Times
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)