May 14, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Dressed in a black Nike t-shirt that read “Where the —– is the finish line?”, Alex Ovechkin met with the Washington media today, one day after his Capitals were eliminated by the New York Rangers.
How could Ovechkin explain what happened to the Capitals, who despite their high-powered offense couldn’t even muster a goal in Games 6 and 7 losses?
Answer: Henrik Lundqvist.
“Almost one guy beat us,” said Ovechkin, per CSN Washington. “Of course they have a good team. They have great players, a great defensive team. But the goalie out there was unbelievable. It was like he was best in the league.”
Ovechkin, who led the NHL with 32 goals during the regular season, only managed to beat Lundqvist once on 30 shots.
As for Ovechkin’s suggestion following Game 7 that the refereeing favored the Rangers in Game 6 because the NHL “wanted” the series to go the distance?
“That’s not my call,” he said today. “I don’t skate with a whistle. I skate with a stick. My job is to play the game and somebody else’s job is to look at the game and make decisions. … I said everything last night.”
Ovechkin will now travel overseas to represent Russia at the World Championships in Sweden and Finland.
Image via Stephen Whyno, Washington Times
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 16
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)