May 14, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Whether you believe new Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill’s claims that Glen Gulutzan’s ouster wasn’t a “foregone conclusion” or not, the bottom line is that the search for a new head coach officially began on Tuesday.
Nill said that he expects interviewing to begin in 7-10 days … and that’s about as much detail as the former Detroit Red Wings executive would go into.
For one thing, he wouldn’t say that he’s only looking at “experienced” candidates.
“No, I am going to be wide open,” Nill said. “As we’ve seen, there are some great young coaches come in and do great things with teams. I need to be wide open to that aspect. We’re going to look at every option available.”
One possibility could be Willie Desjardins, the head coach of the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate).
“Willie is definitely going to be one of those people, but they are still playing,” Nill said. “He’s done a great job down there, coach of the year. He’s definitely going to get consideration. I think it’s important anytime you go anywhere to look internally first and he’s definitely going to be one of the people on the list.”
If his search matches his comments, then Nill will emphasize a very thorough process.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5