May 14, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Whether you believe new Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill’s claims that Glen Gulutzan’s ouster wasn’t a “foregone conclusion” or not, the bottom line is that the search for a new head coach officially began on Tuesday.
Nill said that he expects interviewing to begin in 7-10 days … and that’s about as much detail as the former Detroit Red Wings executive would go into.
For one thing, he wouldn’t say that he’s only looking at “experienced” candidates.
“No, I am going to be wide open,” Nill said. “As we’ve seen, there are some great young coaches come in and do great things with teams. I need to be wide open to that aspect. We’re going to look at every option available.”
One possibility could be Willie Desjardins, the head coach of the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate).
“Willie is definitely going to be one of those people, but they are still playing,” Nill said. “He’s done a great job down there, coach of the year. He’s definitely going to get consideration. I think it’s important anytime you go anywhere to look internally first and he’s definitely going to be one of the people on the list.”
If his search matches his comments, then Nill will emphasize a very thorough process.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 56
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8