May 14, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Whether you believe new Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill’s claims that Glen Gulutzan’s ouster wasn’t a “foregone conclusion” or not, the bottom line is that the search for a new head coach officially began on Tuesday.
Nill said that he expects interviewing to begin in 7-10 days … and that’s about as much detail as the former Detroit Red Wings executive would go into.
For one thing, he wouldn’t say that he’s only looking at “experienced” candidates.
“No, I am going to be wide open,” Nill said. “As we’ve seen, there are some great young coaches come in and do great things with teams. I need to be wide open to that aspect. We’re going to look at every option available.”
One possibility could be Willie Desjardins, the head coach of the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate).
“Willie is definitely going to be one of those people, but they are still playing,” Nill said. “He’s done a great job down there, coach of the year. He’s definitely going to get consideration. I think it’s important anytime you go anywhere to look internally first and he’s definitely going to be one of the people on the list.”
If his search matches his comments, then Nill will emphasize a very thorough process.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 0
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 28
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)