May 14, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Whether you believe new Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill’s claims that Glen Gulutzan’s ouster wasn’t a “foregone conclusion” or not, the bottom line is that the search for a new head coach officially began on Tuesday.
Nill said that he expects interviewing to begin in 7-10 days … and that’s about as much detail as the former Detroit Red Wings executive would go into.
For one thing, he wouldn’t say that he’s only looking at “experienced” candidates.
“No, I am going to be wide open,” Nill said. “As we’ve seen, there are some great young coaches come in and do great things with teams. I need to be wide open to that aspect. We’re going to look at every option available.”
One possibility could be Willie Desjardins, the head coach of the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate).
“Willie is definitely going to be one of those people, but they are still playing,” Nill said. “He’s done a great job down there, coach of the year. He’s definitely going to get consideration. I think it’s important anytime you go anywhere to look internally first and he’s definitely going to be one of the people on the list.”
If his search matches his comments, then Nill will emphasize a very thorough process.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35