May 14, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
Which tends to happen when your team has a 4-1 lead halfway through the third period of Game 7, then blows it.
Especially when your team was making its first playoff appearance since 2004, and was playing a Boston side that had absolutely dominated it the past few years.
The question now is, will last night’s experience hurt the Leafs or help them? Some teams build on painful losses (1984 Oilers, 2009 Penguins); others have more trouble recovering psychologically.
Disappointment aside, there were a lot of good things Toronto can take from that series. James Reimer was mostly fantastic in goal. Jake Gardiner was a whirlwind on defense. The Leafs as a whole showed great team speed.
What’s not clear is if they have a “great” player — the kind that can lead them to a Stanley Cup. A top-line center is something general manager Dave Nonis desperately needs to acquire, but that’s easier said than done. Even if Tyler Bozak re-signs, asking him to fill that role is a lot to ask of the undrafted 27-year-old.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)