May 14, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
That hockey game will haunt me until the day I die…—
Joffrey Lupul (@JLupul) May 14, 2013
Which tends to happen when your team has a 4-1 lead halfway through the third period of Game 7, then blows it.
Especially when your team was making its first playoff appearance since 2004, and was playing a Boston side that had absolutely dominated it the past few years.
The question now is, will last night’s experience hurt the Leafs or help them? Some teams build on painful losses (1984 Oilers, 2009 Penguins); others have more trouble recovering psychologically.
Disappointment aside, there were a lot of good things Toronto can take from that series. James Reimer was mostly fantastic in goal. Jake Gardiner was a whirlwind on defense. The Leafs as a whole showed great team speed.
What’s not clear is if they have a “great” player — the kind that can lead them to a Stanley Cup. A top-line center is something general manager Dave Nonis desperately needs to acquire, but that’s easier said than done. Even if Tyler Bozak re-signs, asking him to fill that role is a lot to ask of the undrafted 27-year-old.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)