May 14, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
When the Boston Bruins improbably sent Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs into overtime on Monday, they made history for the first-round of the 2013 playoffs.
The NHL put out a press release on Tuesday with some interesting tidbits. Here are some of the highlights:
- The first-round of the playoffs produced 17 overtime games, a new record (topping 16 from the 2012 postseason).
- Late game-tying goals abounded. During the season, a team tied things up in the last minute of a contest in one out of about 42 games. In the first-round, that happened one out of (approximately) every nine games.
- Games were close. Teams were either tied or separated by a single goal during 78.3 percent of game time and 28 out of the 47 games ended up being won by a single goal (59.8 percent).
- Falling behind 2-0 in a series apparently isn’t a death sentence. Coming into 2013, teams that were down 2-0 went just 43-280 (a winning percentage of 13.3) in all best-of-seven series, yet the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings managed that feat.
- Did you think it was odd that Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun recorded shutouts for the same team in the same series (without requiring an injury)? The Pittsburgh Penguins’ puck-stopping pair were the first duo to do so in 34 years; Billy Smith and Chico Resch did it for the 1979 New York Islanders.
So, there’s a quick rundown of some of the most interesting stats from those eight first-round series. Let’s hope for more record-breaking fun in the semifinals.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)