May 14, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
When the Boston Bruins improbably sent Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs into overtime on Monday, they made history for the first-round of the 2013 playoffs.
The NHL put out a press release on Tuesday with some interesting tidbits. Here are some of the highlights:
- The first-round of the playoffs produced 17 overtime games, a new record (topping 16 from the 2012 postseason).
- Late game-tying goals abounded. During the season, a team tied things up in the last minute of a contest in one out of about 42 games. In the first-round, that happened one out of (approximately) every nine games.
- Games were close. Teams were either tied or separated by a single goal during 78.3 percent of game time and 28 out of the 47 games ended up being won by a single goal (59.8 percent).
- Falling behind 2-0 in a series apparently isn’t a death sentence. Coming into 2013, teams that were down 2-0 went just 43-280 (a winning percentage of 13.3) in all best-of-seven series, yet the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings managed that feat.
- Did you think it was odd that Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun recorded shutouts for the same team in the same series (without requiring an injury)? The Pittsburgh Penguins’ puck-stopping pair were the first duo to do so in 34 years; Billy Smith and Chico Resch did it for the 1979 New York Islanders.
So, there’s a quick rundown of some of the most interesting stats from those eight first-round series. Let’s hope for more record-breaking fun in the semifinals.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)