May 14, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
When the Boston Bruins improbably sent Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs into overtime on Monday, they made history for the first-round of the 2013 playoffs.
The NHL put out a press release on Tuesday with some interesting tidbits. Here are some of the highlights:
- The first-round of the playoffs produced 17 overtime games, a new record (topping 16 from the 2012 postseason).
- Late game-tying goals abounded. During the season, a team tied things up in the last minute of a contest in one out of about 42 games. In the first-round, that happened one out of (approximately) every nine games.
- Games were close. Teams were either tied or separated by a single goal during 78.3 percent of game time and 28 out of the 47 games ended up being won by a single goal (59.8 percent).
- Falling behind 2-0 in a series apparently isn’t a death sentence. Coming into 2013, teams that were down 2-0 went just 43-280 (a winning percentage of 13.3) in all best-of-seven series, yet the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings managed that feat.
- Did you think it was odd that Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun recorded shutouts for the same team in the same series (without requiring an injury)? The Pittsburgh Penguins’ puck-stopping pair were the first duo to do so in 34 years; Billy Smith and Chico Resch did it for the 1979 New York Islanders.
So, there’s a quick rundown of some of the most interesting stats from those eight first-round series. Let’s hope for more record-breaking fun in the semifinals.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)