May 14, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
This has been a banner campaign for the Chicago Blackhawks.
And there’s only one more thing needed to make it unforgettable — a Stanley Cup championship.
The ‘Hawks are looking to capture Lord Stanley’s Mug for the second time since 2010, and aiming to do it on the heels of a historic regular season.
Chicago ripped off a streak of 24 games to start the year without a regulation loss — dating back to last season, their points streak reached a remarkable 30 games — and also captured the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall record in the NHL, the franchise’s second-ever Presidents’ Trophy and first since 1991.
As one would expect from such a dominant campaign, several ‘Hawks had fantastic individual seasons.
Forward Patrick Kane had a tremendous season, racking up 55 points in 47 games, finishing fifth in the NHL in scoring.
Team captain Jonathan Toews wasn’t far behind, scoring 48 points in 48 games — his 23 goals tied him with Kane for fifth overall in league scoring.
So yeah, quite the road to the playoffs.
As for the postseason? Smooth sailing thus far.
Chicago easily dispatched of eighth-seeded Minnesota in the opening round, winning its Western Conference quarterfinal four games to one.
The Blackhawks’ lone blemish was a 3-2 overtime loss in Game 3 — outside of that, they outscored the Wild 15-4 and remained undefeated on home ice, posting a perfect 3-0 record.
What lies ahead will be Chicago’s biggest challenge to date, though.
In Round 2, the Hawks will take on longtime Central Division rival Detroit for a spot in the Western Conference finals. The ‘Hawks absolutely beat up on the Wings this year, winning all four matchups (including a 7-1 drubbing on Mar. 31), but the Red Wings are a proud bunch and boast a ton of postseason experience.
It promises to be a great series.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)