May 14, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
This has been a banner campaign for the Chicago Blackhawks.
And there’s only one more thing needed to make it unforgettable — a Stanley Cup championship.
The ‘Hawks are looking to capture Lord Stanley’s Mug for the second time since 2010, and aiming to do it on the heels of a historic regular season.
Chicago ripped off a streak of 24 games to start the year without a regulation loss — dating back to last season, their points streak reached a remarkable 30 games — and also captured the Presidents’ Trophy for the best overall record in the NHL, the franchise’s second-ever Presidents’ Trophy and first since 1991.
As one would expect from such a dominant campaign, several ‘Hawks had fantastic individual seasons.
Forward Patrick Kane had a tremendous season, racking up 55 points in 47 games, finishing fifth in the NHL in scoring.
Team captain Jonathan Toews wasn’t far behind, scoring 48 points in 48 games — his 23 goals tied him with Kane for fifth overall in league scoring.
So yeah, quite the road to the playoffs.
As for the postseason? Smooth sailing thus far.
Chicago easily dispatched of eighth-seeded Minnesota in the opening round, winning its Western Conference quarterfinal four games to one.
The Blackhawks’ lone blemish was a 3-2 overtime loss in Game 3 — outside of that, they outscored the Wild 15-4 and remained undefeated on home ice, posting a perfect 3-0 record.
What lies ahead will be Chicago’s biggest challenge to date, though.
In Round 2, the Hawks will take on longtime Central Division rival Detroit for a spot in the Western Conference finals. The ‘Hawks absolutely beat up on the Wings this year, winning all four matchups (including a 7-1 drubbing on Mar. 31), but the Red Wings are a proud bunch and boast a ton of postseason experience.
It promises to be a great series.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)