May 14, 2013, 1:35 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche continued to overhaul their coaching staff on Monday, severing ties with goalie coach Kirk McLean.
McLean, who spent 15 years in the NHL playing for New Jersey, Vancouver, Carolina, Florida and the New York Rangers, was hired as Colorado’s goaltending consultant in 2010.
According to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater, it’s unclear if McLean was fired, or left the organization.
The 46-year-old was never a full-time employee with the club but did work with both Semyon Varlamov and JS Giguere over the last two seasons.
Here’s what Giguere had to say about the relationship (to In Goal Magazine), when questions arose about whether Giguere, a veteran netminder, was doing some coaching rather than McLean, who was there on a part-time basis:
First and foremost I am not [Varlamov’s] goalie coach. Some people make that assumption and that would be unfair for Kirk.
Kirk is the goalie coach, he is highly competent, he knows what he is doing, and this relationship is between Semyon and Kirk. I can not start givng him mixed messages.
That is their relationship. The same relationship I have with Kirk, he has to have too.
McLean’s move is the latest in a shuffle of Avalanche coaches and front office executives.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)