May 14, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche continued to overhaul their coaching staff on Monday, severing ties with goalie coach Kirk McLean.
McLean, who spent 15 years in the NHL playing for New Jersey, Vancouver, Carolina, Florida and the New York Rangers, was hired as Colorado’s goaltending consultant in 2010.
According to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater, it’s unclear if McLean was fired, or left the organization.
The 46-year-old was never a full-time employee with the club but did work with both Semyon Varlamov and JS Giguere over the last two seasons.
Here’s what Giguere had to say about the relationship (to In Goal Magazine), when questions arose about whether Giguere, a veteran netminder, was doing some coaching rather than McLean, who was there on a part-time basis:
First and foremost I am not [Varlamov’s] goalie coach. Some people make that assumption and that would be unfair for Kirk.
Kirk is the goalie coach, he is highly competent, he knows what he is doing, and this relationship is between Semyon and Kirk. I can not start givng him mixed messages.
That is their relationship. The same relationship I have with Kirk, he has to have too.
McLean’s move is the latest in a shuffle of Avalanche coaches and front office executives.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)