May 14, 2013, 1:35 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche continued to overhaul their coaching staff on Monday, severing ties with goalie coach Kirk McLean.
McLean, who spent 15 years in the NHL playing for New Jersey, Vancouver, Carolina, Florida and the New York Rangers, was hired as Colorado’s goaltending consultant in 2010.
According to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater, it’s unclear if McLean was fired, or left the organization.
The 46-year-old was never a full-time employee with the club but did work with both Semyon Varlamov and JS Giguere over the last two seasons.
Here’s what Giguere had to say about the relationship (to In Goal Magazine), when questions arose about whether Giguere, a veteran netminder, was doing some coaching rather than McLean, who was there on a part-time basis:
First and foremost I am not [Varlamov's] goalie coach. Some people make that assumption and that would be unfair for Kirk.
Kirk is the goalie coach, he is highly competent, he knows what he is doing, and this relationship is between Semyon and Kirk. I can not start givng him mixed messages.
That is their relationship. The same relationship I have with Kirk, he has to have too.
McLean’s move is the latest in a shuffle of Avalanche coaches and front office executives.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)