May 13, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
The referees for tonight’s Eastern Conference quarterfinal Game 7 between the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers will be Dan O’Rourke (#9) and Chris Rooney (#5).
Working the lines will be “Life Of” Brian Murphy (#93) and “Mean” Jean Morin (#97).
Interesting storyline here — this is almost the identical crew that worked last year’s Caps-Rangers Game 7.
Rooney, O’Rourke and Murphy all return, with the lone exception being Morin, who replaces Jonny “What happened to the H?” Murray.
The Rangers won last year’s Game 7 by a 2-1 scoreline, a tightly-contested affair that featured just three penalty calls (two on Washington, one on New York.)
Rooney and O’Rourke are extremely familiar with these two teams.
In addition to working last year’s Game 7, the pair also called the triple-OT Game 3, which New York won 2-1.
That game was over 100 minutes long but had just 14 PIM.
— Last year, Rooney and O’Rourke also called Game 7 of the Florida-New Jersey series.
— O’Rourke worked Game 3 of the Rangers-Caps series, a 4-3 New York victory. Rooney worked Game 1.
— Murphy worked the lines for Game 5 of this series, a 2-1 Caps win in OT.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)