May 13, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
The referees for tonight’s Eastern Conference quarterfinal Game 7 between the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers will be Dan O’Rourke (#9) and Chris Rooney (#5).
Working the lines will be “Life Of” Brian Murphy (#93) and “Mean” Jean Morin (#97).
Interesting storyline here — this is almost the identical crew that worked last year’s Caps-Rangers Game 7.
Rooney, O’Rourke and Murphy all return, with the lone exception being Morin, who replaces Jonny “What happened to the H?” Murray.
The Rangers won last year’s Game 7 by a 2-1 scoreline, a tightly-contested affair that featured just three penalty calls (two on Washington, one on New York.)
Rooney and O’Rourke are extremely familiar with these two teams.
In addition to working last year’s Game 7, the pair also called the triple-OT Game 3, which New York won 2-1.
That game was over 100 minutes long but had just 14 PIM.
– Last year, Rooney and O’Rourke also called Game 7 of the Florida-New Jersey series.
– O’Rourke worked Game 3 of the Rangers-Caps series, a 4-3 New York victory. Rooney worked Game 1.
– Murphy worked the lines for Game 5 of this series, a 2-1 Caps win in OT.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17