May 13, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
If the Boston Bruins cough up a 3-1 series lead and are ultimately eliminated by the Toronto Maple Leafs, will that significantly change the Bruins’ gameplan going into the summer?
Could we see significant moves in an attempt to shakeup the squad after what would be their second straight first-round exit? Is Bruins coach Claude Julien’s job even on the line?
Julien won the Stanley Cup with Boston in 2011 and that recent success will almost certainly be a major consideration if the Bruins’ season ends tonight. At the same time, Julien hasn’t been without his strong critics lately.
Retired NHL star forward Tony Amonte doesn’t understand why Julien hasn’t shaken up his lines in an effort to spark a team that has just two goals in their last two games.
“There is not another coach in the NHL that wouldn’t have changed his lines by now,” Amonte told CSN New England. “You have to change it up. You have to spark something offensively. Let’s look at the Pittsburgh Penguins, Game 6, against the Islander. Their top line – Dupois, Crosby, Kunitz – they split them up. They were the best line in the NHL all regular season until Crosby got hurt. They scored every game … and they change it up.”
Meanwhile, Julien isn’t happy with the team’s inconsistency in 2013 and went as far as to call them a “Jekyll & Hyde hockey club,” perhaps lending fuel to the argument that serious changes need to come from a player perspective if this team can’t win when their season is at stake.
Mike Felger and Kevin Paul Dupont discussed the subject below:
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)