May 13, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
For all the accolades the New York Islanders received during their first-round series with heavily favored Pittsburgh, the one area of their game that didn’t shine was goaltending.
And that’s an understatement.
In six games, veteran netminder Evgeni Nabokov allowed 24 goals, finishing with a save percentage of .842.
Nabokov is 37 and can become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The Isles do, of course, have another goalie under contract (which is also an understatement), but Rick DiPietro — who was sent to AHL Bridgeport this season — can’t really be considered a viable option if New York wants to build on this year.
Kevin Poulin, 23, and Anders Nilsson, 23, are in the organization. The Isles could always re-sign Nabokov for one more year and give those two a chance to show their stuff.
However, if they want to be more aggressive…
Everyone knows why they shouldn’t do this. Luongo is 34 years old and has a contract that runs through 2021-22. A year ago, this wouldn’t have even been worth discussing, as Luongo would’ve been unlikely to waive his no-trade clause to go to Long Island. But things have changed since then. Luongo wants to start somewhere, and New York — with a good young team and a move to a new rink coming soon — doesn’t seem like such a bad destination anymore. It’s also conceivable Isles GM Garth Snow could convince the Canucks to retain some of Luongo’s salary, assuming something of value (expect to hear Nino Niederreiter’s name pop up in trade rumors) goes to Vancouver.
The 24-year-old former first-round pick is coming off a solid season as Jonathan Quick‘s backup in Los Angeles. Bernier went 9-3-1 with a 1.87 goals-against average and .922 save percentage. So for obvious reasons, he won’t come cheap. And if the Isles are interested, they won’t be the only ones.
The longtime Sabres’ netminder has a limited no-trade clause (per CapGeek) in which he can list eight teams to which he won’t accept a trade. Miller has one year left on his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent, so if the Isles do pursue him (and he’s willing to go there), they’ll want to make sure they can re-sign him to an extension. Because like Bernier, he won’t be cheap to get.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Both players have missed the start of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Of course Philadelphia needs to take care of business in its own end too.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 2
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)