May 13, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
For a long time, it looked like it would stand up as the game-winning goal.
Justin Abdelkader‘s short-handed goal late in the first period of Sunday’s Game 7 gave the Detroit Red Wings their second lead of the evening over the Anaheim Ducks.
In the end, Valtteri Filppula‘s goal in the second period will count as the winner, as the Red Wings advanced to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 3-2 win over the Ducks in the seventh and deciding game of the series.
But was the Abdelkader goal, which broke open a 1-1 tie, the one that killed the Ducks?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17