May 13, 2013, 2:00 AM EST
For a long time, it looked like it would stand up as the game-winning goal.
Justin Abdelkader‘s short-handed goal late in the first period of Sunday’s Game 7 gave the Detroit Red Wings their second lead of the evening over the Anaheim Ducks.
In the end, Valtteri Filppula‘s goal in the second period will count as the winner, as the Red Wings advanced to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 3-2 win over the Ducks in the seventh and deciding game of the series.
But was the Abdelkader goal, which broke open a 1-1 tie, the one that killed the Ducks?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54