May 13, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
For a long time, it looked like it would stand up as the game-winning goal.
Justin Abdelkader‘s short-handed goal late in the first period of Sunday’s Game 7 gave the Detroit Red Wings their second lead of the evening over the Anaheim Ducks.
In the end, Valtteri Filppula‘s goal in the second period will count as the winner, as the Red Wings advanced to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 3-2 win over the Ducks in the seventh and deciding game of the series.
But was the Abdelkader goal, which broke open a 1-1 tie, the one that killed the Ducks?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 10
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 36
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12