May 13, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Welcome to the final eight.
That was the message received by the Kings, Penguins and Red Wings this past weekend as all three teams moved into their respective conference semifinals.
In LA, the Kings got a late — and we mean late — second-period marker from Dustin Penner to beat the Blues 2-1, winning the best-of-seven series in six games.
Penner scored with 0.2 seconds left in the middle frame, and his goal stood as the game-winning tally as Kings netminder Jonathan Quick slammed the door shut in the third.
On Long Island, the Penguins displayed some late flair for the dramatic.
Paul Martin scored with five minutes remaining to tie the game at three — this despite the Isles largely outplaying the Pens for most of the contest — and Brooks Orpik scored in OT to give Pittsburgh its first series win since 2010.
In Anaheim, Detroit won its first regulation game in grand style.
The Wings flummoxed the Ducks — at the Honda Center, no less — beating Anaheim 3-2 to capture the series in seven.
It was the first time Detroit won in 60 minutes (their first three series victories came in overtime) and the game-winning goal came courtesy Valtteri Filppula, who picked a fine time to bump his slump.
The Finnish forward scored his first goal of the series midway through the second period, which stood as the eventual game-winner.
The Ducks cut Detroit’s lead to one late in the third, but Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stood tall over the final few minutes to push the Wings through to Round 2.
Extended weekend recap!
We’d be remiss without mentioning two of the series that pushed to a Game 7 this weekend — Boston-Toronto and Washington-New York Rangers — that will be played tonight at TD Garden and Verizon Center, respectively.
The Leafs beat the Bruins 2-1 on Sunday to head back to Boston for a do-or-die affair, while the Rangers — led by the outstanding goaltending of Henrik Lundqvist — beat the ‘Caps 1-0 to force a do-or-die of their own.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)