May 13, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Welcome to the final eight.
That was the message received by the Kings, Penguins and Red Wings this past weekend as all three teams moved into their respective conference semifinals.
In LA, the Kings got a late — and we mean late — second-period marker from Dustin Penner to beat the Blues 2-1, winning the best-of-seven series in six games.
Penner scored with 0.2 seconds left in the middle frame, and his goal stood as the game-winning tally as Kings netminder Jonathan Quick slammed the door shut in the third.
On Long Island, the Penguins displayed some late flair for the dramatic.
Paul Martin scored with five minutes remaining to tie the game at three — this despite the Isles largely outplaying the Pens for most of the contest — and Brooks Orpik scored in OT to give Pittsburgh its first series win since 2010.
In Anaheim, Detroit won its first regulation game in grand style.
The Wings flummoxed the Ducks — at the Honda Center, no less — beating Anaheim 3-2 to capture the series in seven.
It was the first time Detroit won in 60 minutes (their first three series victories came in overtime) and the game-winning goal came courtesy Valtteri Filppula, who picked a fine time to bump his slump.
The Finnish forward scored his first goal of the series midway through the second period, which stood as the eventual game-winner.
The Ducks cut Detroit’s lead to one late in the third, but Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stood tall over the final few minutes to push the Wings through to Round 2.
Extended weekend recap!
We’d be remiss without mentioning two of the series that pushed to a Game 7 this weekend — Boston-Toronto and Washington-New York Rangers — that will be played tonight at TD Garden and Verizon Center, respectively.
The Leafs beat the Bruins 2-1 on Sunday to head back to Boston for a do-or-die affair, while the Rangers — led by the outstanding goaltending of Henrik Lundqvist — beat the ‘Caps 1-0 to force a do-or-die of their own.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)