May 13, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Welcome to the final eight.
That was the message received by the Kings, Penguins and Red Wings this past weekend as all three teams moved into their respective conference semifinals.
In LA, the Kings got a late — and we mean late — second-period marker from Dustin Penner to beat the Blues 2-1, winning the best-of-seven series in six games.
Penner scored with 0.2 seconds left in the middle frame, and his goal stood as the game-winning tally as Kings netminder Jonathan Quick slammed the door shut in the third.
On Long Island, the Penguins displayed some late flair for the dramatic.
Paul Martin scored with five minutes remaining to tie the game at three — this despite the Isles largely outplaying the Pens for most of the contest — and Brooks Orpik scored in OT to give Pittsburgh its first series win since 2010.
In Anaheim, Detroit won its first regulation game in grand style.
The Wings flummoxed the Ducks — at the Honda Center, no less — beating Anaheim 3-2 to capture the series in seven.
It was the first time Detroit won in 60 minutes (their first three series victories came in overtime) and the game-winning goal came courtesy Valtteri Filppula, who picked a fine time to bump his slump.
The Finnish forward scored his first goal of the series midway through the second period, which stood as the eventual game-winner.
The Ducks cut Detroit’s lead to one late in the third, but Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stood tall over the final few minutes to push the Wings through to Round 2.
Extended weekend recap!
We’d be remiss without mentioning two of the series that pushed to a Game 7 this weekend — Boston-Toronto and Washington-New York Rangers — that will be played tonight at TD Garden and Verizon Center, respectively.
The Leafs beat the Bruins 2-1 on Sunday to head back to Boston for a do-or-die affair, while the Rangers — led by the outstanding goaltending of Henrik Lundqvist — beat the ‘Caps 1-0 to force a do-or-die of their own.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)