May 13, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs choked.
That’s according to the sports front of the Toronto Sun newspaper. A photo of the cover was put up on the social media site Twitter, including by Ian Shantz, of the Toronto Sun.
“The choke’s on us” was the headline, with a photo of Leafs’ goalie James Reimer sprawled on the ice.
The Leafs, who fought back from a three-games-to-one deficit only to force a seventh game in their first-round series with the Boston Bruins, held a three-goal lead in the third period of Game 7 on Monday night.
The Leafs wound up losing 5-4 in overtime, denied a berth in the Eastern Conference semifinal when it appeared earlier in the evening like that’s where they would advance.
Members of the Leafs were left to lament what might have been to reporters following the game.
That’s definitely among the top five lows in your life… It’s just an empty feeling really,” said Reimer, as per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)