May 13, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs choked.
That’s according to the sports front of the Toronto Sun newspaper. A photo of the cover was put up on the social media site Twitter, including by Ian Shantz, of the Toronto Sun.
“The choke’s on us” was the headline, with a photo of Leafs’ goalie James Reimer sprawled on the ice.
The Leafs, who fought back from a three-games-to-one deficit only to force a seventh game in their first-round series with the Boston Bruins, held a three-goal lead in the third period of Game 7 on Monday night.
The Leafs wound up losing 5-4 in overtime, denied a berth in the Eastern Conference semifinal when it appeared earlier in the evening like that’s where they would advance.
Members of the Leafs were left to lament what might have been to reporters following the game.
That’s definitely among the top five lows in your life… It’s just an empty feeling really,” said Reimer, as per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)