May 13, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs choked.
That’s according to the sports front of the Toronto Sun newspaper. A photo of the cover was put up on the social media site Twitter, including by Ian Shantz, of the Toronto Sun.
“The choke’s on us” was the headline, with a photo of Leafs’ goalie James Reimer sprawled on the ice.
The Leafs, who fought back from a three-games-to-one deficit only to force a seventh game in their first-round series with the Boston Bruins, held a three-goal lead in the third period of Game 7 on Monday night.
The Leafs wound up losing 5-4 in overtime, denied a berth in the Eastern Conference semifinal when it appeared earlier in the evening like that’s where they would advance.
Members of the Leafs were left to lament what might have been to reporters following the game.
That’s definitely among the top five lows in your life… It’s just an empty feeling really,” said Reimer, as per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)