May 13, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs choked.
That’s according to the sports front of the Toronto Sun newspaper. A photo of the cover was put up on the social media site Twitter, including by Ian Shantz, of the Toronto Sun.
“The choke’s on us” was the headline, with a photo of Leafs’ goalie James Reimer sprawled on the ice.
The Leafs, who fought back from a three-games-to-one deficit only to force a seventh game in their first-round series with the Boston Bruins, held a three-goal lead in the third period of Game 7 on Monday night.
The Leafs wound up losing 5-4 in overtime, denied a berth in the Eastern Conference semifinal when it appeared earlier in the evening like that’s where they would advance.
Members of the Leafs were left to lament what might have been to reporters following the game.
That’s definitely among the top five lows in your life… It’s just an empty feeling really,” said Reimer, as per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)