May 13, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs choked.
That’s according to the sports front of the Toronto Sun newspaper. A photo of the cover was put up on the social media site Twitter, including by Ian Shantz, of the Toronto Sun.
“The choke’s on us” was the headline, with a photo of Leafs’ goalie James Reimer sprawled on the ice.
The Leafs, who fought back from a three-games-to-one deficit only to force a seventh game in their first-round series with the Boston Bruins, held a three-goal lead in the third period of Game 7 on Monday night.
The Leafs wound up losing 5-4 in overtime, denied a berth in the Eastern Conference semifinal when it appeared earlier in the evening like that’s where they would advance.
Members of the Leafs were left to lament what might have been to reporters following the game.
That’s definitely among the top five lows in your life… It’s just an empty feeling really,” said Reimer, as per James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)