May 13, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
After a quick ouster from the Stanley Cup playoffs, PK Subban is right back at it.
The Montreal defenseman was named to Team Canada’s entry at the 2013 World Hockey Championships on Monday, primed to join the club in time for the tournament quarterfinals.
Subban, 24, has never represented Canada internationally at the senior level, but twice won gold at the World Juniors in 2008 and 2009.
He’ll join Team Canada on the heels of arguably his finest professional season.
Subban had 11G-27A-38PTS in 42 games this year and garnered his first-ever Norris nomination as the league’s top defenseman.
He averaged over 23 minutes a night for the Canadiens and led the league in d-man scoring (he was the only blueliner to score 11 goals this year.)
Canada finished round-robin play with a 5-1-1 record and could finish first in its group, depending on what Switzerland does against Belarus on Monday.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)