May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
A report from the Ottawa Sun says the highly-anticipated matchup between the Senators and Penguins will get underway ASAP.
Citing league sources, the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports the second-round series will begin on Tuesday — yes, tomorrow — at the Consol Energy Center at 7 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The NHL has confirmed Pittsburgh and Ottawa will get Round 2 underway tomorrow.
Here’s more, from the Sun:
The NHL was waiting for the result of Game 7 vs. the Leafs and Bruins before finalizing the schedule.
The Senators have had a good break and will board their Air Canada charter this afternoon for the short flight to Pittsburgh.
The Senators’ Twitter feed confirmed the team would be leaving for Pittsburgh today.
Ottawa hasn’t played since last Thursday, when it finished off Montreal in Game 5 of its opening round series, while Pittsburgh last took to the ice on Saturday, dispatching of the Islanders in overtime of Game 6.
The Penguins won the regular season series 3-0-0 (Ottawa gained just a single point from the Pens, thanks to a shootout loss in January).
Those results weren’t the major storyline, however.
The bad blood stemming from the Erik Karlsson-Matt Cooke lacerated Achilles incident in mid-February has dominated headlines, and put plenty of focus on this pending matchup.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)