May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
A report from the Ottawa Sun says the highly-anticipated matchup between the Senators and Penguins will get underway ASAP.
Citing league sources, the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports the second-round series will begin on Tuesday — yes, tomorrow — at the Consol Energy Center at 7 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The NHL has confirmed Pittsburgh and Ottawa will get Round 2 underway tomorrow.
Here’s more, from the Sun:
The NHL was waiting for the result of Game 7 vs. the Leafs and Bruins before finalizing the schedule.
The Senators have had a good break and will board their Air Canada charter this afternoon for the short flight to Pittsburgh.
The Senators’ Twitter feed confirmed the team would be leaving for Pittsburgh today.
Ottawa hasn’t played since last Thursday, when it finished off Montreal in Game 5 of its opening round series, while Pittsburgh last took to the ice on Saturday, dispatching of the Islanders in overtime of Game 6.
The Penguins won the regular season series 3-0-0 (Ottawa gained just a single point from the Pens, thanks to a shootout loss in January).
Those results weren’t the major storyline, however.
The bad blood stemming from the Erik Karlsson-Matt Cooke lacerated Achilles incident in mid-February has dominated headlines, and put plenty of focus on this pending matchup.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 115
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)