May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
A report from the Ottawa Sun says the highly-anticipated matchup between the Senators and Penguins will get underway ASAP.
Citing league sources, the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports the second-round series will begin on Tuesday — yes, tomorrow — at the Consol Energy Center at 7 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The NHL has confirmed Pittsburgh and Ottawa will get Round 2 underway tomorrow.
Here’s more, from the Sun:
The NHL was waiting for the result of Game 7 vs. the Leafs and Bruins before finalizing the schedule.
The Senators have had a good break and will board their Air Canada charter this afternoon for the short flight to Pittsburgh.
The Senators’ Twitter feed confirmed the team would be leaving for Pittsburgh today.
Ottawa hasn’t played since last Thursday, when it finished off Montreal in Game 5 of its opening round series, while Pittsburgh last took to the ice on Saturday, dispatching of the Islanders in overtime of Game 6.
The Penguins won the regular season series 3-0-0 (Ottawa gained just a single point from the Pens, thanks to a shootout loss in January).
Those results weren’t the major storyline, however.
The bad blood stemming from the Erik Karlsson-Matt Cooke lacerated Achilles incident in mid-February has dominated headlines, and put plenty of focus on this pending matchup.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)