May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
A report from the Ottawa Sun says the highly-anticipated matchup between the Senators and Penguins will get underway ASAP.
Citing league sources, the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports the second-round series will begin on Tuesday — yes, tomorrow — at the Consol Energy Center at 7 p.m. ET.
UPDATE: The NHL has confirmed Pittsburgh and Ottawa will get Round 2 underway tomorrow.
Here’s more, from the Sun:
The NHL was waiting for the result of Game 7 vs. the Leafs and Bruins before finalizing the schedule.
The Senators have had a good break and will board their Air Canada charter this afternoon for the short flight to Pittsburgh.
The Senators’ Twitter feed confirmed the team would be leaving for Pittsburgh today.
Ottawa hasn’t played since last Thursday, when it finished off Montreal in Game 5 of its opening round series, while Pittsburgh last took to the ice on Saturday, dispatching of the Islanders in overtime of Game 6.
The Penguins won the regular season series 3-0-0 (Ottawa gained just a single point from the Pens, thanks to a shootout loss in January).
Those results weren’t the major storyline, however.
The bad blood stemming from the Erik Karlsson-Matt Cooke lacerated Achilles incident in mid-February has dominated headlines, and put plenty of focus on this pending matchup.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)