Pens, Sens to open Round 2 series in Pittsburgh tomorrow (Update: Official!)

May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT

PensSens

A report from the Ottawa Sun says the highly-anticipated matchup between the Senators and Penguins will get underway ASAP.

Citing league sources, the Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports the second-round series will begin on Tuesday — yes, tomorrow — at the Consol Energy Center at 7 p.m. ET.

UPDATE: The NHL has confirmed Pittsburgh and Ottawa will get Round 2 underway tomorrow.

Here’s more, from the Sun:

The NHL was waiting for the result of Game 7 vs. the Leafs and Bruins before finalizing the schedule.

The Senators have had a good break and will board their Air Canada charter this afternoon for the short flight to Pittsburgh.

The Senators’ Twitter feed confirmed the team would be leaving for Pittsburgh today.

Ottawa hasn’t played since last Thursday, when it finished off Montreal in Game 5 of its opening round series, while Pittsburgh last took to the ice on Saturday, dispatching of the Islanders in overtime of Game 6.

The Penguins won the regular season series 3-0-0 (Ottawa gained just a single point from the Pens, thanks to a shootout loss in January).

Those results weren’t the major storyline, however.

The bad blood stemming from the Erik Karlsson-Matt Cooke lacerated Achilles incident in mid-February has dominated headlines, and put plenty of focus on this pending matchup.

1. steelpenbucs87 - May 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Makes sense – Tuesday and Thursday in CSC, then back to the capital for HNIC on Saturday.

Can’t wait for this series – it’s going to be AWESOME.

2. sportsfreak13 - May 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Thank you NHL. Two game sevens tonight then Pens vs Sens tomorrow!! Also PHT please do not give the Ottawa Sun any publicity whatsoever. They are an absolute joke when it comes to journalism and they are basically regarded as a tabloid in Ottawa from my understanding. This is going to be a great series. Good luck to all the Sens fans on here.

3. myspaceyourface - May 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Why can’t someone at the NHL make a playoff schedule like the rest of the leagues?

It is simply ridiculous that they don’t have this planned out already.

• dirt2013 - May 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Because the NHL reseeds after every round.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - May 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Hey! I hear you. But! Look at the bright side. We getting some amazing match ups producing close games and there are more good ones to come.

• myspaceyourface - May 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

So what you are saying is they are unable to put games to dates and then fill in the teams? That would be pretty tough.

• chanceoffleury1 - May 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that that is actually exactly what they do. And I’d also bet that teams are given all 7 of their game dates by the NHL before they even begin a series. The Penguins and Senators probably knew they were playing Tuesday night as soon as Brooks Oripik scored the overtime goal, Senators probably knew even sooner. They just don’t release the dates to the fans. Broadcasting and such need to have timeslots ready to go so there is definitely a pretty large degree of pre-planning game times done by the NHL before they even know who the teams in those slots will be.

4. Florio's Lawyer - May 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I’m not buying it until the NHL officially announces the schedule.
    I find it hard to believe that they’re going to start another series and give ticket buying fans less than 24 hours notice…

• Florio's Lawyer - May 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Well, so much for that. Two minutes after posting this, I got the schedule in an e-mail.
      Game 1 tomorrow at Consol @ 7PM.

5. pitpenguinsrulez - May 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Cant wait to see some pop the piece of trash Chris Neil in the face! I cant wait for tomorrow night…the days in between penguin game is way TOO long.

*OFFICIAL INTRO*…well should be…

…I could find the actual war zone intro for hour 2

6. myroncopesflask - May 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

If Pens start Vokoun in net Pens win in 4. If they start Flower Pens in 5; Bylsma will replace him after game 1 and the Pens win the next 4. Every game will be exciting to watch and every game that one team blows out the other will be a sideshow joke. I know the regular season does not mean much but one thing stood out when these two teams played. The Sens have limited speed and zero depth. The Pens had trouble with NY because of their speed and their willingness to trap it up. The Sens will not trap it up because of their aggressive blue liners. I will eat crow if need be but I have a feeling the Sens are going to get worked over. Expect Malkin and Neal to pile up some huge points.
    1975

• hazlydose - May 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Craig Anderson was the best goalie in the league this year. I expect him to steal at least a game, probably two.

• phillyphanatic77 - May 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I keep hearing from Pens fans that the Sens lack speed, but I think that’s a seriously misguided notion. Karlsson, Pageau, Conacher, silfverberg, Turris, Michalek, Zibanejad, etc… there’s plenty of speed there. This Senators team is a lot better than most of you guys are giving them credit for. And saying “zero depth” is ridiculous. Idk if you mean scoring depth or organizational depth but they did very well this season despite missing Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, and Anderson for extended stretches. That’s four of their top five players out and they were still a good team. I’d say that indicates exceptional organizational depth and competent scoring depth. The Pens have a clear talent advantage, but winning in the playoffs requires heart, determination, and the ability to overcome adversity- and I’d say the Sens are good at that. Should be close.

• fbothharbaughs - May 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Any reasonably knowledgeable Pens fan would acknowledge the fact that the Senators have excellent team speed, a good goalie, & tough D. And yes, they played well despite long stretches w/o their best players.

But the Pens also played stretches w/o Crosby, Letang & Malkin, and that’s 3 of the league’s top players at their respective positions.

Hopefully, they learned their lesson against the Idles and button-up their team D, but to say the Pens don’t have the heart, determination and ability to overcome adversity is nonsensical. Of their starting lineup, 11 some players remain from their last Cup go-around…

• fbothharbaughs - May 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Oh, and lest I forget, F eiggles….

• phillyphanatic77 - May 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You misunderstood my point… I was not saying the Pens don’t have heart and determination, I was just indicating that the Sens have it in spades. And that’s based on the fact that they overcame the losses of two of their best forwards, the best offensive defenseman in the NHL, and arguably the hottest goalie in the league. And they just kept rolling. The Pens overcame injuries to their stars because they have plenty of established, talented vets. The Sens overcame their injuries with mostly unknown kids. And I think that organizational depth helps Ottawa’s chances. I still think the Pens take the series, I just believe the Sens matchup well with them.

• sportsfreak13 - May 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Yea I am a pens fan and there’s no way I would be predicting pens in 4 or 5 in this series. I am confident in my squad to win 4 games this series, but I know it wont be easy, the playoffs never are. I get that the senators team does have some fast skaters but the problem with the islanders was their transition game when we would turn the puck over in the neutral zone. I don’t think that’s as much as a factor against the senators. In my opinion this series is going to be won on special teams and battles along the boards. If the pens can win the board battles and keep a cycle going I think it will go along way in making this series shorter. This series will be fun though.

• phillyphanatic77 - May 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I agree about the Pens winning puck battles, if they had done that against New York it would’ve been a shorter series. But, from what I’ve seen in the playoffs, the Islanders and Sens transition games aren’t too far off from one another. The Isles may be better at it but if the Pens turn the puck over like they did in round 1 then the Sens have the ability to capitalize just as much. I think the deciding factor may be goaltending though. That’s the one area the Sens have a decided advantage. Vokoun performed admirably but is he the guy the rest of the way? Does Fleury have enough confidence to go back in, if needed, and not be a liability? Vokoun is 6-12, 3.20 GAA, .902sv% against Ottawa. Fleury is 9-8, 3.34 GAA, .898sv%. Now those numbers may not mean a lot in the playoffs but shaky goaltending can seriously cost you, as Fleury and Nabokov showed. Meanwhile, Craig Anderson probably would’ve won the Vezina if he was healthy all season. That may be the only advantage Ottawa has, but it’s a big one. A hot goalie can single-handedly steal a series. Like I said, I think the Pens advance but it could be close.

• sportsfreak13 - May 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yep pretty spot on analysis right there. That’s why the rangers worry me moving forward. It looks like they will advance and king Henrik can steal games (maybe even a series). These second round matchups are really good. I can’t believe seeds 2-4 in both conferences most likely won’t advance. Makes me appreciate the fact we won in 6. Any pens fan who is cocky after that islanders series is not smart.

7. ironcity6pak - May 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Question is can Ott keep their cool, focus on the game and not cook.

8. myroncopesflask - May 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I think they learned the last game what will happen if they worry about Cooke. It took less than a minute for them to do something stupid and 12 second later they were down by a goal. Cooke has made it clear that he is not going to drop the gloves with Neil because it was an accident. I’m sure if Karlsson wants to drop the mits he would be willing but I really do not see that going down. Neil will pull his normal crap but he won’t get out of hand as he wants no part of Derek Engelland none whatsover. Like said in my previous post if any games get out of hand expect a sideshow joke.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - May 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I think if Cookie wants to dance, then Neil will be more than happy to oblige, and this regardless of the injury to Karlsson. That’s what these guys do in the playoffs.

• myroncopesflask - May 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Cooke doesn’t want to nor has he ever wanted to drop the gloves. When he has crossed the line and pulled one of his dirty hits he would answer the bell when the other team’s goon would want to fight. He will never instigate a fight, it’s not his game. He is there to drive other teams crazy not fight. There are plenty of other Pens that will fight Neil. I imagine either Engelland or Glass will be in the lineup on tuesday. Neil wants no part of D.E…. Not sure if you are Sens fan but if you watched that last game but Neil would run his mouth and as soon as D.E. would come near him he would shut up and walk away. So punk Neil who is supposed to be a tough guy backed down from Glass,Engellend, and Big Mac(don’t blame him for the last).

9. colossal87 - May 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

The Franchise in 12 scoreless periods

10. ibieiniid - May 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

lol Flyers/Pens fans feuding on a larger scale. scroll down to the thing about the racist kid.

• sportsfreak13 - May 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Yep because this article is about pens vs flyers. Typical flyer fan trying to inject themselves in the spotlight even though you have been eliminated for weeks.

• ibieiniid - May 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Continuing my comment below this thread:
        I also find it hihgly ironic that YOU’RE the one telling ME not to turn it into Flyers/Pens when the flyers have been out for weeks when I said that exact same line arguing with you last week.

Regardless, as evidenced by you and I’s convos, the Flyers fan v Pens fan story is ongoing. Just thought it was funny that somebody would take it to the point of posting personal information online.

11. ibieiniid - May 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM

@sportsfreak seeing as how i had the convo with YOU last week about every pens article turning into flyers v pens… id think at least you would have seen the irony i was going for.

• sportsfreak13 - May 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Other then one idiot above referencing 1975 no one has even mentioned the flyers on this article. Whatever helps you sleep at night though bud. Id rather converse about the hockey being played now, not some rivalry we wont see until October. There will be plenty of articles and time to argue about it then.

• malkamania71 - May 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Just shut up, seriously. Nobody cares about the Flyers right now, there are playoffs to worry about

• ibieiniid - May 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

“Worrying” was the right word to use because Ottawa’s bouta be in the ECF.

• ibieiniid - May 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Also note that the part of that story I referenced was about another sh**bag Pens fan… not about the Flyers

12. thehighcountrybear - May 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Penguins had better hope for a Leafs’ win tonight…?

All the League pandering to Sidney’s feed and care won’t be worth a pinch of steaming coon doo if Senators are the last Canadian team standing; remember all those iffy calls and curious two man advantages at critical junctures versus Isles? Hey, presto magic, gone faster than Jarome Iginla in a fearsome high contact game!

Nothing empties pubs and sports bars and nothing deflates television numbers in Canada faster than a Canadian team no-show after round two? It ain’t gonna happen lads and lassies! In the old US of A, hockey’s a regional television product; in Canada, like country sunshine, it goes coast to coast baby!

Compounding the probability of a gassing by the refs is the spectre of Matt Cooke; real or imagined, no one in Ottawa is going to miss opportunity to use the Karlsson incident to stick it to this clown! Before the series is out, Matt Cooke. is going to look like someone dragged him down ten miles of gravel road; champagne corks will be popping League-wide!

In spite of obvious expected improvement to his scheming back-running face, it’s time the hockey gods visited their wrath upon this caricature of a hockey player. Penguin fans will be less likely to call Shero a wizard when Matt’s history helps to haul this team into an early grave…

Go Senators…

• malkamania71 - May 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I’ll admit that I am jealous of how awesome hockey fans are in Canada, I’ve truly never seen anything like it.

BUT – if you are still complaining about Matt Cooke then I have nothing to say to you. It’s been 3 months and you are STILL relentless about this incident. You are truly ignorant if you are just going to assume he intended to slice Karlsson’s achilles. Quit your complaining already, you sound like a girl.

PS Your beloved owner is a hand-job.

Go Penguins..

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches