May 13, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
It’s the final day of the first round and two series are still undecided.
Before we take a look at them, please keep in mind that you can watch both of these games online in addition to the channels listed below:
Game 7: Boston Bruins host Toronto Maple Leafs (7:00 p.m. ET, CNBC)
Series tied at 3-3
For the Toronto Maple Leafs, simply making the playoffs was an accomplishment that many didn’t think they would achieve this season. They did anyways and when the Leafs fell behind in this series 3-1, Toronto showed that neither the pressure nor a sense of contentment would stop them.
Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer has proven that he can handle himself in the playoffs despite no prior postseason experience. Meanwhile, forward Phil Kessel has been a hero against his former team, the Boston Bruins, despite his prior struggles versus the club.
That being said, the Boston Bruins aren’t about to roll over either. Many of the Bruins’ key players were around when they blew a 3-0 series lead to the Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 and although this collapse isn’t on that level, there will likely be plenty of desperation on their side to avoid a similar fate.
The player to watch on the Boston Bruins’ end is Tyler Seguin. He’s typically one of their most effective offensive weapons, but he doesn’t have a point in this series.
Game 7: Washington Capitals host New York Rangers (8:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN)
Series tied at 3-3
This is the fourth time in five years that these two teams have met in the playoffs and the third time in that span that they’ve needed the full seven games to settle their differences. In 2009, Washington took Game 7 and last year, the New York Rangers edged past the Capitals.
Just as it was a year ago, Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby and Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist have been leaders for their respective teams. However, one of them will obviously surrender at least one more goal and it will be interesting to see if either team’s biggest stars will step up for this deciding contest.
Rick Nash has just one assist in this series while Alex Ovechkin has no points and a minus-three rating in his last four contests. Additionally, Rangers forward Brad Richards has just one goal and no points in the playoffs.
Among those three, Richards is the one that has struggled the most in this series. Richards started Game 6 on the fourth line and logged just 9:34 minutes in that contest.
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
May 21, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Recently represented the United States at the worlds.
May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
As many as six new head coaches could still be named.
May 21, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Coaches be getting paid.
May 21, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Some have wondered if he could replace goal-less Bryan Bickell.
May 21, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
“We need to create a safe environment for the players.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)