May 13, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The NHL has announced that the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Ray Shero, Montreal Canadiens’ Marc Bergevin, and Anaheim Ducks’ Bob Murray are the three finalists for the GM of the Year Award.
Of the candidates, Shero was by far the most active on the trade front. He parted ways with Jordan Staal and acquired Tomas Vokoun over the summer. During the regular season, he took advantage of the Penguins’ flexible short-term cap position by adding Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray, Jarome Iginla, and Jussi Jokinen to their roster.
Bergevin was named the Montreal Canadiens’ general manager a year ago and since then he’s hired head coach Michel Therrien and drafted Alex Galchenyuk. He also traded away struggling forward Erik Cole in order to reunite Michael Ryder with the squad that originally drafted him. Cole never turned his season around, but Ryder meshed well with the Canadiens, recording 21 points in 27 games.
Most importantly, Bergevin inherited a team that finished dead last in the Eastern Conference and led them to the second seed.
Murray’s accomplishments include revamping the Ducks’ blueline and getting Teemu Selanne to extend his NHL career. He also took a chance on Viktor Fasth, a 30-year-old goaltender with no prior NHL experience, and it paid off handsomely.
Anaheim ended up with the second seed in the Western Conference after failing to make the playoffs in 2011-12.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Tough blow for Montreal.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
With Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson.
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 0
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 7
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 19
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)