May 13, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
At the age of 42, Teemu Selanne is approaching a crossroads in his career.
He’s a pending unrestricted free agent this summer. With the Anaheim Ducks losing to the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs following a 3-2 Game 7 defeat on Sunday, the question of whether Selanne will play next season is now being tossed around.
Greg Beacham of the Associated Press tweeted out following the game that “…Selanne is going to take several weeks to contemplate his future. Says he’s not leaning either way, still in shock from 1st-rd loss.”
Selanne played in 46 of Anaheim’s 48 regular season games, scoring 12 goals and adding 12 assists.
Not bad production for someone in their early 40s.
But he had just one goal and three points in seven games against the Red Wings in the post season. In the final four games of the series, Selanne was held without a point, and was a minus-one in the deciding contest.
If this is the end to Selanne’s playing career, he’ll leave the game with 675 goals and 1,430 points in 1,387 regular season games.
That’s a remarkable career.
You’ll also recall that as a rookie with the original Winnipeg Jets, Selanne scored an amazing 76 goals in 84 games during the 1992-93 season. He accumulated 132 points that season.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 22
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 25
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 15
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 52
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)