May 13, 2013, 2:19 AM EST
At the age of 42, Teemu Selanne is approaching a crossroads in his career.
He’s a pending unrestricted free agent this summer. With the Anaheim Ducks losing to the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs following a 3-2 Game 7 defeat on Sunday, the question of whether Selanne will play next season is now being tossed around.
Greg Beacham of the Associated Press tweeted out following the game that “…Selanne is going to take several weeks to contemplate his future. Says he’s not leaning either way, still in shock from 1st-rd loss.”
Selanne played in 46 of Anaheim’s 48 regular season games, scoring 12 goals and adding 12 assists.
Not bad production for someone in their early 40s.
But he had just one goal and three points in seven games against the Red Wings in the post season. In the final four games of the series, Selanne was held without a point, and was a minus-one in the deciding contest.
If this is the end to Selanne’s playing career, he’ll leave the game with 675 goals and 1,430 points in 1,387 regular season games.
That’s a remarkable career.
You’ll also recall that as a rookie with the original Winnipeg Jets, Selanne scored an amazing 76 goals in 84 games during the 1992-93 season. He accumulated 132 points that season.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 18
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)