May 13, 2013, 2:19 AM EST
At the age of 42, Teemu Selanne is approaching a crossroads in his career.
He’s a pending unrestricted free agent this summer. With the Anaheim Ducks losing to the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs following a 3-2 Game 7 defeat on Sunday, the question of whether Selanne will play next season is now being tossed around.
Greg Beacham of the Associated Press tweeted out following the game that “…Selanne is going to take several weeks to contemplate his future. Says he’s not leaning either way, still in shock from 1st-rd loss.”
Selanne played in 46 of Anaheim’s 48 regular season games, scoring 12 goals and adding 12 assists.
Not bad production for someone in their early 40s.
But he had just one goal and three points in seven games against the Red Wings in the post season. In the final four games of the series, Selanne was held without a point, and was a minus-one in the deciding contest.
If this is the end to Selanne’s playing career, he’ll leave the game with 675 goals and 1,430 points in 1,387 regular season games.
That’s a remarkable career.
You’ll also recall that as a rookie with the original Winnipeg Jets, Selanne scored an amazing 76 goals in 84 games during the 1992-93 season. He accumulated 132 points that season.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)