May 13, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
At the age of 42, Teemu Selanne is approaching a crossroads in his career.
He’s a pending unrestricted free agent this summer. With the Anaheim Ducks losing to the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs following a 3-2 Game 7 defeat on Sunday, the question of whether Selanne will play next season is now being tossed around.
Greg Beacham of the Associated Press tweeted out following the game that “…Selanne is going to take several weeks to contemplate his future. Says he’s not leaning either way, still in shock from 1st-rd loss.”
Selanne played in 46 of Anaheim’s 48 regular season games, scoring 12 goals and adding 12 assists.
Not bad production for someone in their early 40s.
But he had just one goal and three points in seven games against the Red Wings in the post season. In the final four games of the series, Selanne was held without a point, and was a minus-one in the deciding contest.
If this is the end to Selanne’s playing career, he’ll leave the game with 675 goals and 1,430 points in 1,387 regular season games.
That’s a remarkable career.
You’ll also recall that as a rookie with the original Winnipeg Jets, Selanne scored an amazing 76 goals in 84 games during the 1992-93 season. He accumulated 132 points that season.
- Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 1
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)