May 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
If there’s a silver lining for Lars Eller in the wake of the devastating hit absorbed during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, it’s that he doesn’t remember it.
Or much of anything about it.
That’s what Eller told reporters over the weekend, saying there was a large void of recollection following a bodycheck from Ottawa defenseman Eric Gryba.
“I don’t remember much. There’s a good gap of a 10-minute period where I don’t remember anything,” Eller told the Montreal Gazette.“It happened so fast, I don’t remember anything of it happening on the ice.
“I don’t remember getting carried off the ice, trying to get up, all that stuff.”
Eller suffered a concussion, facial and dental fractures on the hit and was stretchered off the ice after briefly losing consciousness:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The hit ended an otherwise stellar campaign for the 24-year-old Dane.
Eller posted a career-high 30 points in 46 games this season and was averaging close to 15 minutes a night with the Habs during the playoffs. He also ranked third on the team in assists (22) this year and had a plus-8 rating.
The good news is that Eller was able to resume skating during the series and expects to make a full return.
I’m grateful to still be able to play hockey and be where I am,” he told the Gazette.
“So it could have been a lot worse. That’s how I see it.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)