May 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
If there’s a silver lining for Lars Eller in the wake of the devastating hit absorbed during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, it’s that he doesn’t remember it.
Or much of anything about it.
That’s what Eller told reporters over the weekend, saying there was a large void of recollection following a bodycheck from Ottawa defenseman Eric Gryba.
“I don’t remember much. There’s a good gap of a 10-minute period where I don’t remember anything,” Eller told the Montreal Gazette.“It happened so fast, I don’t remember anything of it happening on the ice.
“I don’t remember getting carried off the ice, trying to get up, all that stuff.”
Eller suffered a concussion, facial and dental fractures on the hit and was stretchered off the ice after briefly losing consciousness:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The hit ended an otherwise stellar campaign for the 24-year-old Dane.
Eller posted a career-high 30 points in 46 games this season and was averaging close to 15 minutes a night with the Habs during the playoffs. He also ranked third on the team in assists (22) this year and had a plus-8 rating.
The good news is that Eller was able to resume skating during the series and expects to make a full return.
I’m grateful to still be able to play hockey and be where I am,” he told the Gazette.
“So it could have been a lot worse. That’s how I see it.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)