May 13, 2013, 2:55 AM EDT
It didn’t take much time – actually, one minute and 49 seconds to be exact – for Henrik Zetterberg to make an impact for the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday night.
Matched up on the road against the Anaheim Ducks in a winner-take-all Game 7, Zetterberg got the Red Wings on the board early with his third goal of the series – and third in the last two games.
The Red Wings got off to a good start, and then were the better team throughout the middle and late stages of the game.
They were rewarded with a 3-2 victory and will advance to the Western Conference semifinal against the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners as the league’s top regular season team.
“We did a great job getting off to a good start, and then we protected it there at the end,” Zetterberg told the Associated Press.
“A lot of us have been in tough situations like this before, so we knew how to play this type of game.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)