May 13, 2013, 2:55 AM EDT
It didn’t take much time – actually, one minute and 49 seconds to be exact – for Henrik Zetterberg to make an impact for the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday night.
Matched up on the road against the Anaheim Ducks in a winner-take-all Game 7, Zetterberg got the Red Wings on the board early with his third goal of the series – and third in the last two games.
The Red Wings got off to a good start, and then were the better team throughout the middle and late stages of the game.
They were rewarded with a 3-2 victory and will advance to the Western Conference semifinal against the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners as the league’s top regular season team.
“We did a great job getting off to a good start, and then we protected it there at the end,” Zetterberg told the Associated Press.
“A lot of us have been in tough situations like this before, so we knew how to play this type of game.”
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 0
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 43
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12