May 13, 2013, 2:37 AM EDT
When the final horn sounded, the Anaheim Ducks, the second seed in the Western Conference standings, were on the losing end in Game 7 of their quarter-final series against the Detroit Red Wings.
For the majority of Sunday’s game, the Red Wings, the seventh seed in the West, were the better team.
In the end, the Ducks made a game of it thanks to a late power play goal credited to Francois Beauchemin, but lost by a final score of 3-2, ending their season in what they believe to be a premature fashion.
“I don’t think anybody expected to come up short,” Ducks’ forward Bobby Ryan told the L.A. Times.
“I think we were all coming to the rink tonight very confident in ourselves and very excited about where this could take us. It’s a pretty low-morale group now, that’s for sure.”
Sunday’s loss could also mark the end of Teemu Selanne‘s marvelous National Hockey League career. He’s 42 years of age and is a pending unrestricted free agent in the summer, although he will take some time to make a decision on his playing career.
Hindering the Ducks was the fact Corey Perry, who signed an eight-year contract extension with Anaheim worth $69 million, failed to score in the series.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)