May 13, 2013, 2:37 AM EST
When the final horn sounded, the Anaheim Ducks, the second seed in the Western Conference standings, were on the losing end in Game 7 of their quarter-final series against the Detroit Red Wings.
For the majority of Sunday’s game, the Red Wings, the seventh seed in the West, were the better team.
In the end, the Ducks made a game of it thanks to a late power play goal credited to Francois Beauchemin, but lost by a final score of 3-2, ending their season in what they believe to be a premature fashion.
“I don’t think anybody expected to come up short,” Ducks’ forward Bobby Ryan told the L.A. Times.
“I think we were all coming to the rink tonight very confident in ourselves and very excited about where this could take us. It’s a pretty low-morale group now, that’s for sure.”
Sunday’s loss could also mark the end of Teemu Selanne‘s marvelous National Hockey League career. He’s 42 years of age and is a pending unrestricted free agent in the summer, although he will take some time to make a decision on his playing career.
Hindering the Ducks was the fact Corey Perry, who signed an eight-year contract extension with Anaheim worth $69 million, failed to score in the series.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)