May 13, 2013, 2:37 AM EDT
When the final horn sounded, the Anaheim Ducks, the second seed in the Western Conference standings, were on the losing end in Game 7 of their quarter-final series against the Detroit Red Wings.
For the majority of Sunday’s game, the Red Wings, the seventh seed in the West, were the better team.
In the end, the Ducks made a game of it thanks to a late power play goal credited to Francois Beauchemin, but lost by a final score of 3-2, ending their season in what they believe to be a premature fashion.
“I don’t think anybody expected to come up short,” Ducks’ forward Bobby Ryan told the L.A. Times.
“I think we were all coming to the rink tonight very confident in ourselves and very excited about where this could take us. It’s a pretty low-morale group now, that’s for sure.”
Sunday’s loss could also mark the end of Teemu Selanne‘s marvelous National Hockey League career. He’s 42 years of age and is a pending unrestricted free agent in the summer, although he will take some time to make a decision on his playing career.
Hindering the Ducks was the fact Corey Perry, who signed an eight-year contract extension with Anaheim worth $69 million, failed to score in the series.
Corey Perry on being held without a goal: "It just didn't seem to be there in the series. You have to give a lot of credit to them."—
Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) May 13, 2013
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)