May 13, 2013, 2:37 AM EDT
When the final horn sounded, the Anaheim Ducks, the second seed in the Western Conference standings, were on the losing end in Game 7 of their quarter-final series against the Detroit Red Wings.
For the majority of Sunday’s game, the Red Wings, the seventh seed in the West, were the better team.
In the end, the Ducks made a game of it thanks to a late power play goal credited to Francois Beauchemin, but lost by a final score of 3-2, ending their season in what they believe to be a premature fashion.
“I don’t think anybody expected to come up short,” Ducks’ forward Bobby Ryan told the L.A. Times.
“I think we were all coming to the rink tonight very confident in ourselves and very excited about where this could take us. It’s a pretty low-morale group now, that’s for sure.”
Sunday’s loss could also mark the end of Teemu Selanne‘s marvelous National Hockey League career. He’s 42 years of age and is a pending unrestricted free agent in the summer, although he will take some time to make a decision on his playing career.
Hindering the Ducks was the fact Corey Perry, who signed an eight-year contract extension with Anaheim worth $69 million, failed to score in the series.
Corey Perry on being held without a goal: "It just didn't seem to be there in the series. You have to give a lot of credit to them."—
Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) May 13, 2013
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)