May 13, 2013, 2:37 AM EST
When the final horn sounded, the Anaheim Ducks, the second seed in the Western Conference standings, were on the losing end in Game 7 of their quarter-final series against the Detroit Red Wings.
For the majority of Sunday’s game, the Red Wings, the seventh seed in the West, were the better team.
In the end, the Ducks made a game of it thanks to a late power play goal credited to Francois Beauchemin, but lost by a final score of 3-2, ending their season in what they believe to be a premature fashion.
“I don’t think anybody expected to come up short,” Ducks’ forward Bobby Ryan told the L.A. Times.
“I think we were all coming to the rink tonight very confident in ourselves and very excited about where this could take us. It’s a pretty low-morale group now, that’s for sure.”
Sunday’s loss could also mark the end of Teemu Selanne‘s marvelous National Hockey League career. He’s 42 years of age and is a pending unrestricted free agent in the summer, although he will take some time to make a decision on his playing career.
Hindering the Ducks was the fact Corey Perry, who signed an eight-year contract extension with Anaheim worth $69 million, failed to score in the series.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)