May 13, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins used up tonight’s quota of Game 7 dramatics. Not that the New York Rangers mind.
Arron Asham gave them a one-goal lead in the first period and they steadily added to it throughout this game. Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist stopped all 35 Capitals shots to earn his second straight shutout.
Here are a few notes about the Rangers’ dominating 5-0 win:
- Alex Ovechkin wasn’t able to score in this contest, but he tried to contribute in other ways. He had a game-high 13 hits, but of course, that’s not what his team needed the most from him tonight.
- With back-to-back shutouts, Lundqvist has now earned eight in his postseason career. That puts him in a five-way tie for 13th place on the NHL’s all-time list.
- Four different Rangers players scored their first goal of the playoffs tonight. No one on the Rangers has more than two goals in the playoffs, but they have gotten goals from 11 different guys.
- The Rangers failed to convert on their two power-play opportunities in Game 7. Obviously, that didn’t change the outcome of this game, but the Rangers are dead last with the man advantage among the teams that have advanced to the second round.
- Rick Nash is still searching for his first goal of the 2013 playoffs, but he did register an assist tonight. At the age of 28, he has also won his first postseason series.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”
Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Not just a team that scores a lot of goals.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”
Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 31, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Florida’s season is essentially on the line.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Sportsnet’s Stephen Brunt, not pulling any punches.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
He was Florida’s first-round pick (23rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Mar 31, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
This after his team, Rogle, terminated his contract on Monday.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT
Gave up four goals on 11 shots Sunday versus the Islanders.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
Just 2-for-33 over the last 15 games.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Just one win in their last six.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
6-foot-5, 225-pounder led Charlottetown in penalty minutes this year, with 124.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:38 AM EDT
He finished tied for third in the country in assists last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Los Angeles traded a first-round pick in February to get him.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:52 AM EDT
Could that really be the case this time?
Mar 31, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:48 AM EDT
Feel free to change that to “lose.”
Mar 31, 2015, 12:22 AM EDT
The overall damage is currently unclear.
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 8
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 46
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 19
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13