Discuss: Bruins’ incredible comeback pushes them past Toronto

May 13, 2013, 10:16 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v Boston Bruins - Game Seven Getty Images

It looked like after nine years between postseason series, the Toronto Maple Leafs would stick around for a little bit longer. The Boston Bruins had other plans.

Maple Leafs blueliner Cody Franson scored twice, former Bruins forward Phil Kessel added his fourth marker of the series early in the third period, and 22-year-old Nazem Kadri gave Toronto a 4-1 lead.

But the Bruins surged with three unanswered goals in the final 10:42 minutes of regulation, including markers by Milan Lucic and Patrice Bergeron just 31 seconds apart in the dying minutes of the third period. Boston took that momentum into overtime and sent Toronto home.

Here are the talking points:

• Through 40 minutes, Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara had already logged an unreal 22:10 minutes. The next highest on either team after two periods was Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf with 18:22 minutes. That’s partially due to the fact that Dennis Seidenberg suffered an undisclosed injury and was limited to 37 seconds. Chara went on to lead both teams with 35:46 minutes.
  • The Boston Bruins absolutely dominated on the draw during this game with a 70% success rate.
  • Bruins coach Claude Julien has been criticized lately for his reluctance to mix up his lines, but CSN New England noted that he did try swapping Tyler Seguin and Jaromir Jagr tonight.
  • With three goals in this series, Franson scored more often than every Leafs player except for Kessel. Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul matched Franson’s three goals in this series.
  • Bruins defenseman Matt Bartkowski scored a postseason goal for the first time in his NHL career. Kadri also found the back of the net for the first time in the playoffs.
  1. sabatimus - May 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM

YESSSSSSSS!! I’d personally like to thank Cody Franson for that tape-to-tape to Bergeron.

• 32stork - May 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM

And yet again, the Leafs remain the Laughs!!

2. ryanw822 - May 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM

lol, Leaves gonna Leave!

THE BIG…

THE BAD…

THE BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• vanindeed - May 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

nice except the Bruins part

3. canucks30 - May 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I think it’s Luongo time for the Maple Leafs

• pastabelly - May 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Because Luongo did so well in the playoffs in games at Boston? Please own your ridiculous comment.

• canucks30 - May 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Roberto Luongo

NHL – William M. Jennings Trophy (Lowest goals-against)
        2010 Olympic Gold Medal
        2008-09 NHL – Named to play in the NHL All-Star Game
        2006-07 NHL – Second All-Star Team
        2006-07 NHL – Named to play in the NHL All-Star Game
        2003-04 NHL – Second All-Star Team
        2003-04 NHL – Named to play in the NHL All-Star Game
        2001-02 NHL – Played in the NHL YoungStars Game
        1996-97 QMJHL – Michael Bossy Trophy (Top Draft Prospect)

Career Stats:
        Total NHL 747 348 289 53 42886 1800 22226 2.52 .919 62 – – – – –

Career Playoff Stats:
        Total NHL 61 32 29 – 3716 157 1868 2.53 .916 5 – – – – –

He also shut out the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Finals in Games 1 and 5 and held the Bruins to 1 goal in Game 2.

Seems like the perfect compliment to James Reimer to me.

• bruininnh1984 - May 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM

he did shut out the bruins in games 1 and 5, but was absolutely horrible in all 3 games in boston, and was only ok in the game he absolutely had to win in game 7. Needless to say, Roberto Luongo wilted under the pressure. His early exit in game 6 after allowing 3 goals is all you need to know about Luongo

• pastabelly - May 14, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Luongo is so outstanding that his backup beat him out and Vancouver couldn’t even dump his contract. Canucks 30’s post includes great things he did OVER FIVE YEARS AGO. Reimer is not the Leaf’s problem. In fact, he stood on his head in Game 5. He played as well as Rask. The Leafs folded in front of him. Toronto needs help on defense and maybe a third or fourth line with some complimentary players.

4. luciddream7 - May 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Ouch. Sad night for the city of Toronto. Should be a great series. LET’S GO RANGERS.

5. phillyphanatic77 - May 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Amazing. One of the best game 7s I’ve ever seen. Just an epic comeback. Patrice Bergeron stepped up big time but Toronto stopped skating. Great series but ya gotta feel for Reimer.

Also, the tying goal looked like it was deflected by both Horton and maybe Chara. Could be wrong but that’s how it looked. Looking forward to Boston-NYR

• bruininnh1984 - May 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM

that was Bergie’s goal all the way. Chara did a good job screening Reimer

• phillyphanatic77 - May 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I’ve watched the replay many times and I’m just gonna say it changes direction right around Horton. Chara misses it, I know that. But the third replay of the goal that they have here on PHT you can cleary see the trajectory of the puck change right where Horton puts his stick up. I noticed it when I was watching the broadcast as well. Maybe it hit the defender, it’s hard to tell, but there’s no doubt in my mind that it changes course in mid-air.

6. crazemastercraze - May 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Epic Fail

7. bardown66 - May 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I’m not fond of either team, but I refuse to pity Toronto. I actually laughed while watching. Bergeron is the bruins best player imo, dude is tough and can do literally everything! Now I can hope my pens advance and play the bruins. Sending jagr out with a loss would be enjoyable.

• mjvincent125 - May 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Actually it would be more enjoyable for Jagr to help the B’s send the Pens packing.

8. nosefacekillah - May 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Great game. Glad to see the Bruins move on.

I feel for Reimer. He got very little support at the end of the game. The Leafs seem to collapse back and play not to lose.

Leafs have a very good team with enough talent to compete for the division next year.

• ryanw822 - May 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM

totally agree. I like ragging on Reimer but his team’s game plan in that last 10 minutes left him out to dry.

He really deserved better from his teammates.

9. gallyhatch - May 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Holy crap, that was incredible.

I give all the credit in the world to Toronto, they desereved to win that series, but that was one hell of a comeback, I can’t say the Bruins didn’t earn it either.

I hope we face Toronto again next year, that was a great series,

10. oquintero99 - May 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I think Phinauf is out from Toronto. He was at fault on the 3rd goal I think. Feel so bad for the Maple Leafs. I was rooting for them against the Bruins.

11. govtminion - May 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The B’s effort in the second and third periods… they should be golfing tomorrow. They didn’t deserve the chance they got in the late third.

But… give them that chance, and they sure grabbed it. One of the most amazing, nerve-wracking hockey games I have ever watched in over 30 years as a B’s fan. I’m still in shock.

Bring on the Rangers, I suppose!

12. mp1131211 - May 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Now the Rangers can beat the crap out of a team that rightly deserves to have the crap beat out of them. Way to go Leafs – night and day from last season! Now… Go Rangers!

• jeff2000m - May 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Rangers downfall…..acquiring rick nash and getting rid of brandon prust.

13. sportsfreak13 - May 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

That was in my opinion the best first series matchup this year. That game 7 will be a classic. Thanks for putting on a great show both teams.

14. gmenfan1982 - May 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Bring it on Bruins! Lets Go Rangers!!!

15. titansbro - May 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Un. Freaking. Real. Utter insanity.

16. kissmytaintpatriotsrule - May 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Is Toronto still stronger? Kessel is still a tool

17. pastabelly - May 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM

As a Bruins fan, I admit that the Leafs outskated and outhit the Bruins. It’s one of those series where playoff experience and knowing how to win made that small difference. Hopefully, that goal ignites Bergeron’s line. Seguin really worked on that goal. Marchand is still in a funk.

• mp1131211 - May 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM

It was one of those series where the winner was lucky that the loser quit playing for 10 minutes.

• nosefacekillah - May 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I agree, Leafs outplayed Boston overall. But when the Leafs went cold, they went ice cold.

• nunan - May 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Disagree. The Bruins were the better team in the first half of the series, the Leafs were the better team for the second half, in general. Bruins won in a pretty even series…nothing lucky about it. Scoring one goal late may be luck…coming back from THREE down late is not luck…just pure power and dominance.

• thesableo - May 14, 2013 at 2:20 AM

It was one of those series where the winners were lucky they finally got their heads out of their own asses and scored some goals.

• mp1131211 - May 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM

@nunan- I think you miss the point on that. Their “luck” wasn’t that they scored 3 goals – it was that the Leafs had an epic collapse at exactly the right time. You say the Bruins won a “pretty even series” and then you say the Bruins won by “pure power and dominance.” So which one was it? Cause you can’t have both. And if you mean that they won by “pure power and dominance” in the last 2 minutes, well then, yeah, agreed. And that “power and dominance” just happened to coincide with the Leaf’s epic collapse. In other words….

luck

18. loinstache - May 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Don’t care for either team and indifferent to the outcome. Man oh man though, I would love to see GMs make some noise about the officiating in the off-season because it has been universally putrid this season. Seriously, are you putting the whistles away or not? Are you giving retaliation penalties or not? Are you giving teams the benefit of the next call if the last was soft? Too many times this play-offs I’ve been impartial to either team and still ended up frustrated because of the circus being run by the zebras.

• nosefacekillah - May 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Officiating as well as supplemental discipline was awful in round 1. Hopefully things get better with 1/2 as many games.

• thesableo - May 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM

IMO the most consistent ref in the NHL is Stephen Walkom. He doesn’t call anything, on any player, on any team, in any game. And that makes him The Best Playoff Ref Ever. He only reffed one or two games in the first round, let’s hope that number improves.

• jeffchadwick - May 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Right on – there were at least a half dozen hits last night that might have necessitated a Shanny hearing under other circumstances that weren’t even worthy of a minor penalty.

• botlecap - May 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM

completely agree. i was at the game last night and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and all, but everyone who watched it on tv was just as confused as me as too what was going to be called and what wasn’t. there wasn’t bias or anything, there was just so much inconsistency. the second period was basically a lost hockey period with the way it was officiated. at least they got things together for the third.

19. bru308 - May 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Wow, you can thank me Boston fans. Right after I texted a buddy “well, Boston’s done”, the comeback started.

Sorry Leafs fans

20. jeff2000m - May 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM

BOSTON STRONGEST!!! welcome to round 2 my fellow bruins fans…..we just witnessed history once again! Hats off to toronto though. I used to hate the leafs as much as the habs but after that series, as a true hockey fan, i MUST respect the leafs. Hard fought battle but better team won.

21. badgerbuck - May 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Neither the rangers or bruins are winning the cup. So who really cares other then the folks in these two towns.

• kissmytaintpatriotsrule - May 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I hope you not a Pittsburg fan because we already stole your plays and taped your practices. Enjoy losing clown.

• govtminion - May 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I wonder how many people said stuff like this about the Kings a year ago? If Boston proved anything tonight, it’s that at this time of year, weird things can happen.

• nosefacekillah - May 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM

If Boston is hoping for “weird things” I will take Pitts skill. Boston needs to play much better if they hope to move along.

22. thewaytonever - May 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM

That was crazy. gotta feel for Reimer. his d just couldn’t clear the crease. But give the B’s credit they never quit. Amazing comeback

23. malkamania71 - May 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Best game of the year! WOW

24. multiplemiggs - May 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM

hahahahahahha TORONTO CURSE OF MICHAEL PECA

25. jeff2000m - May 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Toronto will be scary team in near future….atleast theyre no diving team like the habs. As a bruins fan i truly respect the toronto maple leafs. Great series. Not too sold on reimer though. Maybe phaneuf and kadri for luongo and kesler? Leaf fans??? Chime in

• jeff2000m - May 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Contract is a killer i understand!

26. ducksk - May 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Laughed when I saw you fans peel for the gates halfway in 3rd. Your goon game is old and so is your sportsmanship.

• jeff2000m - May 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Where are ur ducks?

• bman7206 - May 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Because there was so much “goonery” in the game? Ducks choke. Tee time’s at 9 am. Maybe Perry can put the ba in the hole…sucka

27. thehighcountrybear - May 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM

canucks30 and his personal anthem:

When people ask of me
    What would you like to be
    Now that your not a kid anymore

You’re not a kid anymore…

I know just what to say
    I answer right away
    There’s just one thing
    I’ve been wishing for…

I want to be Bobby’s girl
    I want to be Bobby’s girl
    That’s the most important thing to me…

And if I was Bobby’s girl
    If I was Bobby’s girl
    What a faithful, thankful girl I’d be!

• lordstanley65 - May 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM

God…I’m embarrassed for you.

28. drewsylvania - May 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Reimer did not play as well as Rask. Reimer gave up a rebound on nearly every shot. When his team was tenacious, this worked.

29. gallyhatch - May 15, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I must be the only Bostonian who cringes when he hears “Boston Strong” being used in reference to a sporting event.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches