May 13, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
This is the second straight year that the Capitals have dropped a Game 7 against the New York Rangers, but it runs deeper than that.
Over the last six years the Washington Capitals have won their division five times and have consistently made the playoffs. Despite that, they have been unable to make it to the Stanley Cup finals. Over that time, the Capitals have tried to shake up their tactics and plenty of key players have been replaced.
All the same, Washington hasn’t been able to step up in the postseason.
“It feels like deja vu,” Backstrom admitted. “It happened before.”
Big changes probably aren’t coming for the Capitals. Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin have been locked in to long-term contracts and the Capitals don’t have any major unrestricted free agents outside of 33-year-old forward Mike Ribeiro. Additionally, Adam Oates will almost certainly return as the team’s bench boss after their impressive late season surge that got them into the playoffs in the first place.
Barring a blockbuster trade, this group will get another chance next year. We’ll see what they can do with it.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)