May 13, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
Neither the Rangers nor the Capitals scored on the power play yesterday.
But that sentence, while true, does not adequately sum up the story.
The difference was, New York had five chances — including a 5-on-3 that lasted 44 seconds — while Washington didn’t once skate with the man advantage.
Unlike many observers, Rangers forward Brian Boyle thought his team’s power play — which is 2-for-26 in the series — showed promise on Sunday.
“I think we’ve gotten some good support, gotten in the zone pretty good,” he said, per NHL.com. “I think we had some looks [in Game 6] where Michael [Del Zotto] found a lane, shot it down and I tried to get a deflection. We’ll hopefully get some more deflections. It’s close. We’ve gotten some momentum off of it.
“Obviously it’s not the percentage that [the media] or people think is what you want, but we’re aware of that. We want to score on the power play. I don’t think we’re as far off as some might think.”
To the Rangers’ credit, they won the game, 1-0, forcing a seventh and deciding match tonight at the Verizon Center.
The Caps, meanwhile, would love to put their dangerous power play to work in Game 7. Since getting five chances in Game 1 — “We can’t take that many penalties,” said Rangers coach John Tortorella — they’ve had just nine in the last five games.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)