May 13, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
Neither the Rangers nor the Capitals scored on the power play yesterday.
But that sentence, while true, does not adequately sum up the story.
The difference was, New York had five chances — including a 5-on-3 that lasted 44 seconds — while Washington didn’t once skate with the man advantage.
Unlike many observers, Rangers forward Brian Boyle thought his team’s power play — which is 2-for-26 in the series — showed promise on Sunday.
“I think we’ve gotten some good support, gotten in the zone pretty good,” he said, per NHL.com. “I think we had some looks [in Game 6] where Michael [Del Zotto] found a lane, shot it down and I tried to get a deflection. We’ll hopefully get some more deflections. It’s close. We’ve gotten some momentum off of it.
“Obviously it’s not the percentage that [the media] or people think is what you want, but we’re aware of that. We want to score on the power play. I don’t think we’re as far off as some might think.”
To the Rangers’ credit, they won the game, 1-0, forcing a seventh and deciding match tonight at the Verizon Center.
The Caps, meanwhile, would love to put their dangerous power play to work in Game 7. Since getting five chances in Game 1 — “We can’t take that many penalties,” said Rangers coach John Tortorella — they’ve had just nine in the last five games.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)