May 13, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
Neither the Rangers nor the Capitals scored on the power play yesterday.
But that sentence, while true, does not adequately sum up the story.
The difference was, New York had five chances — including a 5-on-3 that lasted 44 seconds — while Washington didn’t once skate with the man advantage.
Unlike many observers, Rangers forward Brian Boyle thought his team’s power play — which is 2-for-26 in the series — showed promise on Sunday.
“I think we’ve gotten some good support, gotten in the zone pretty good,” he said, per NHL.com. “I think we had some looks [in Game 6] where Michael [Del Zotto] found a lane, shot it down and I tried to get a deflection. We’ll hopefully get some more deflections. It’s close. We’ve gotten some momentum off of it.
“Obviously it’s not the percentage that [the media] or people think is what you want, but we’re aware of that. We want to score on the power play. I don’t think we’re as far off as some might think.”
To the Rangers’ credit, they won the game, 1-0, forcing a seventh and deciding match tonight at the Verizon Center.
The Caps, meanwhile, would love to put their dangerous power play to work in Game 7. Since getting five chances in Game 1 — “We can’t take that many penalties,” said Rangers coach John Tortorella — they’ve had just nine in the last five games.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)