May 13, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Blues prospect Ty Rattie has been named MVP of the WHL Championship Series that saw his Portland Winterhawks beat the Edmonton Oil Kings, 4-2, to advance to the 2013 Memorial Cup in Saskatoon.
Rattie finished with 20 goals and 16 assists in 21 playoff games. The 19-year-old winger, who the Blues drafted 32nd overall in 2011, also had 110 points in 62 regular-season games for a star-studded Winterhawks side that includes this summer’s potential first overall pick Seth Jones, as well as Pittsburgh defense prospect Derrick Pouliot.
At 6’0 and 176 pounds, some have questioned whether Rattie has the size and strength to be a star in the NHL.
“His instincts, his offensive ability translates to the NHL level, but he will have to continue to develop his game to deal with the bigger (defensemen) in the league,” St. Louis director of amateur scouting Bill Armstrong told The Oregonian in April.
“Some of those guys are 230, 240 pounds and they’re fast. He still has strides to go, still has some things he needs to improve.”
The Memorial Cup (May 17-26), by the way, will also feature top draft prospects Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin of the Halifax Mooseheads.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 151
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)