May 13, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Blues prospect Ty Rattie has been named MVP of the WHL Championship Series that saw his Portland Winterhawks beat the Edmonton Oil Kings, 4-2, to advance to the 2013 Memorial Cup in Saskatoon.
Rattie finished with 20 goals and 16 assists in 21 playoff games. The 19-year-old winger, who the Blues drafted 32nd overall in 2011, also had 110 points in 62 regular-season games for a star-studded Winterhawks side that includes this summer’s potential first overall pick Seth Jones, as well as Pittsburgh defense prospect Derrick Pouliot.
At 6’0 and 176 pounds, some have questioned whether Rattie has the size and strength to be a star in the NHL.
“His instincts, his offensive ability translates to the NHL level, but he will have to continue to develop his game to deal with the bigger (defensemen) in the league,” St. Louis director of amateur scouting Bill Armstrong told The Oregonian in April.
“Some of those guys are 230, 240 pounds and they’re fast. He still has strides to go, still has some things he needs to improve.”
The Memorial Cup (May 17-26), by the way, will also feature top draft prospects Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin of the Halifax Mooseheads.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)