May 13, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks swept their regular season series against the Detroit Red Wings — but they don’t want to read too much into that going into second round.
Part of the reason for that is because most of Chicago’s games against Detroit were decided by razor thin margins. Three of the four contests went to overtime.
“It’s going to be a tough series,” Marian Hossa told CSN Chicago. “We had their number during the regular season but they were all tight games. They’re playing extremely well from what I saw of their games against Anaheim. We’re going to need to elevate our game.”
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville agrees with Hossa and added that this playoff series will give both teams a clean slate.
“(Detroit) had a great stretch to get into the playoffs. They had to make some hay to get in there and they did it,” Quenneville said. “Their top guys are special. The tradition, they know how to win and they find ways to bring the best out of our team. But we’re worried about how we have to approach it, so let’s make sure we’re at our best.”
The series will start in Chicago on Wednesday.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)