May 13, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks swept their regular season series against the Detroit Red Wings — but they don’t want to read too much into that going into second round.
Part of the reason for that is because most of Chicago’s games against Detroit were decided by razor thin margins. Three of the four contests went to overtime.
“It’s going to be a tough series,” Marian Hossa told CSN Chicago. “We had their number during the regular season but they were all tight games. They’re playing extremely well from what I saw of their games against Anaheim. We’re going to need to elevate our game.”
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville agrees with Hossa and added that this playoff series will give both teams a clean slate.
“(Detroit) had a great stretch to get into the playoffs. They had to make some hay to get in there and they did it,” Quenneville said. “Their top guys are special. The tradition, they know how to win and they find ways to bring the best out of our team. But we’re worried about how we have to approach it, so let’s make sure we’re at our best.”
The series will start in Chicago on Wednesday.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)