May 13, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks swept their regular season series against the Detroit Red Wings — but they don’t want to read too much into that going into second round.
Part of the reason for that is because most of Chicago’s games against Detroit were decided by razor thin margins. Three of the four contests went to overtime.
“It’s going to be a tough series,” Marian Hossa told CSN Chicago. “We had their number during the regular season but they were all tight games. They’re playing extremely well from what I saw of their games against Anaheim. We’re going to need to elevate our game.”
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville agrees with Hossa and added that this playoff series will give both teams a clean slate.
“(Detroit) had a great stretch to get into the playoffs. They had to make some hay to get in there and they did it,” Quenneville said. “Their top guys are special. The tradition, they know how to win and they find ways to bring the best out of our team. But we’re worried about how we have to approach it, so let’s make sure we’re at our best.”
The series will start in Chicago on Wednesday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)