May 13, 2013, 7:52 PM EST
Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price got off to a strong start this season, but he collapsed in April with a 3.49 GAA and .876 save percentage in 11 games and wasn’t much better in the playoffs.
Price wasn’t shy about the fact that his struggles have been tough to swallow, especially in a city like Montreal.
“When you’re winning here there’s no better place to play,” Price told NHL.com. “But when you’re not playing well here it’s definitely tough. But it’s the only thing I know; I went straight out of junior to here. It’s the only type of atmosphere I know. I’ve learned to accept it.”
Price admitted that he misses “being anonymous” and that it’s gotten so bad that he doesn’t “even go to the grocery store anymore.”
“I’m like a hobbit in a hole,” Price added.
At the same time, Price argued that he has the mentality to win a Stanley Cup.
“In order to do that I need to reach another level,” Price said. “I’m going to need to figure out what I need to do to get to that level.”
None of what Price did or said recently worries Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin.
“I believe in him,” Bergevin said in an NHL.com report. “We will support him and we’ll help him.”
Bergevin also doesn’t buy into the idea that Price’s remarks mean that the 25-year-old goaltender is open to or would even prefer a trade.
“It’s normal in a market like Montreal or Toronto or Vancouver, or even Chicago or Philadelphia,” Bergevin said. “Goaltending’s a difficult position, very demanding. So it’s normal that a young player feels pressure.
“We’ll do everything we can to make sure he gets through this stage.”
Bergevin jokingly added that he can always get Price’s groceries for him if that’s an issue.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)