May 13, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price got off to a strong start this season, but he collapsed in April with a 3.49 GAA and .876 save percentage in 11 games and wasn’t much better in the playoffs.
Price wasn’t shy about the fact that his struggles have been tough to swallow, especially in a city like Montreal.
“When you’re winning here there’s no better place to play,” Price told NHL.com. “But when you’re not playing well here it’s definitely tough. But it’s the only thing I know; I went straight out of junior to here. It’s the only type of atmosphere I know. I’ve learned to accept it.”
Price admitted that he misses “being anonymous” and that it’s gotten so bad that he doesn’t “even go to the grocery store anymore.”
“I’m like a hobbit in a hole,” Price added.
At the same time, Price argued that he has the mentality to win a Stanley Cup.
“In order to do that I need to reach another level,” Price said. “I’m going to need to figure out what I need to do to get to that level.”
None of what Price did or said recently worries Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin.
“I believe in him,” Bergevin said in an NHL.com report. “We will support him and we’ll help him.”
Bergevin also doesn’t buy into the idea that Price’s remarks mean that the 25-year-old goaltender is open to or would even prefer a trade.
“It’s normal in a market like Montreal or Toronto or Vancouver, or even Chicago or Philadelphia,” Bergevin said. “Goaltending’s a difficult position, very demanding. So it’s normal that a young player feels pressure.
“We’ll do everything we can to make sure he gets through this stage.”
Bergevin jokingly added that he can always get Price’s groceries for him if that’s an issue.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)