May 12, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals have really gotten to know each other in three consecutive playoff series, with that familiarity sure to boil over some more in Game 7 on Monday.
Game 6 had plenty of fireworks in its own right, though. That was especially true in the third period, as Derek Dorsett was the center of attention for a couple of controversial moments while Alex Ovechkin delivered a big hit.
First, let’s take a look at Ovechkin’s check on Dan Girardi, which seemed to leave the Rangers blueliner a little shaken up:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Girardi is a trooper, though … he didn’t miss a shift.
In one exchange, the Capitals accused Dorsett of slew-footing Mike Green. Washington wasn’t very friendly to Dorsett after that exchange and in other moments of the game, as you can see from this moment when Joel Ward nearly sent the 26-year-old crashing into Henrik Lundqvist:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The takeaway seems pretty clear: these teams don’t really like each other, even if they seem to know each other quite well.
(In other news, the two team will face each other more often in the regular season beginning in 2013-14 …)
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)