May 12, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals have really gotten to know each other in three consecutive playoff series, with that familiarity sure to boil over some more in Game 7 on Monday.
Game 6 had plenty of fireworks in its own right, though. That was especially true in the third period, as Derek Dorsett was the center of attention for a couple of controversial moments while Alex Ovechkin delivered a big hit.
First, let’s take a look at Ovechkin’s check on Dan Girardi, which seemed to leave the Rangers blueliner a little shaken up:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Girardi is a trooper, though … he didn’t miss a shift.
In one exchange, the Capitals accused Dorsett of slew-footing Mike Green. Washington wasn’t very friendly to Dorsett after that exchange and in other moments of the game, as you can see from this moment when Joel Ward nearly sent the 26-year-old crashing into Henrik Lundqvist:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The takeaway seems pretty clear: these teams don’t really like each other, even if they seem to know each other quite well.
(In other news, the two team will face each other more often in the regular season beginning in 2013-14 …)
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)