May 12, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals have really gotten to know each other in three consecutive playoff series, with that familiarity sure to boil over some more in Game 7 on Monday.
Game 6 had plenty of fireworks in its own right, though. That was especially true in the third period, as Derek Dorsett was the center of attention for a couple of controversial moments while Alex Ovechkin delivered a big hit.
First, let’s take a look at Ovechkin’s check on Dan Girardi, which seemed to leave the Rangers blueliner a little shaken up:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Girardi is a trooper, though … he didn’t miss a shift.
In one exchange, the Capitals accused Dorsett of slew-footing Mike Green. Washington wasn’t very friendly to Dorsett after that exchange and in other moments of the game, as you can see from this moment when Joel Ward nearly sent the 26-year-old crashing into Henrik Lundqvist:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The takeaway seems pretty clear: these teams don’t really like each other, even if they seem to know each other quite well.
(In other news, the two team will face each other more often in the regular season beginning in 2013-14 …)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5