May 12, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals have really gotten to know each other in three consecutive playoff series, with that familiarity sure to boil over some more in Game 7 on Monday.
Game 6 had plenty of fireworks in its own right, though. That was especially true in the third period, as Derek Dorsett was the center of attention for a couple of controversial moments while Alex Ovechkin delivered a big hit.
First, let’s take a look at Ovechkin’s check on Dan Girardi, which seemed to leave the Rangers blueliner a little shaken up:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Girardi is a trooper, though … he didn’t miss a shift.
In one exchange, the Capitals accused Dorsett of slew-footing Mike Green. Washington wasn’t very friendly to Dorsett after that exchange and in other moments of the game, as you can see from this moment when Joel Ward nearly sent the 26-year-old crashing into Henrik Lundqvist:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The takeaway seems pretty clear: these teams don’t really like each other, even if they seem to know each other quite well.
(In other news, the two team will face each other more often in the regular season beginning in 2013-14 …)
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 35
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28