May 12, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals have really gotten to know each other in three consecutive playoff series, with that familiarity sure to boil over some more in Game 7 on Monday.
Game 6 had plenty of fireworks in its own right, though. That was especially true in the third period, as Derek Dorsett was the center of attention for a couple of controversial moments while Alex Ovechkin delivered a big hit.
First, let’s take a look at Ovechkin’s check on Dan Girardi, which seemed to leave the Rangers blueliner a little shaken up:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Girardi is a trooper, though … he didn’t miss a shift.
In one exchange, the Capitals accused Dorsett of slew-footing Mike Green. Washington wasn’t very friendly to Dorsett after that exchange and in other moments of the game, as you can see from this moment when Joel Ward nearly sent the 26-year-old crashing into Henrik Lundqvist:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The takeaway seems pretty clear: these teams don’t really like each other, even if they seem to know each other quite well.
(In other news, the two team will face each other more often in the regular season beginning in 2013-14 …)
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)