May 12, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
You may have noticed that Jaroslav Halak wasn’t much of a factor late in the season or the playoffs for the St. Louis Blues. He dealt with a groin injury and was supplanted by Brian Elliott as the starter in the playoffs.
If you thought any of that sat well with Halak, you’d be very wrong.
Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares a story how he and coach Ken Hitchcock had a heated argument outside the Blues locker room before Game 4 against Los Angeles. Halak was reportedly late for a team meeting and the confrontation was escalated by Halak as he got his frustrations about sitting off his chest.
What was Halak burned up about? Rutherford highlights include:
- Not getting the start against Chicago in the season finale
- Being confused by Hitchcock saying he wouldn’t be ready until the playoffs
- Being passed over for Jake Allen following a bad loss in March
Rutherford adds Blues personnel may not have been pleased with Halak’s response to not playing including giving less-than full effort in practices and not preparing to play in Game 2 against L.A. when Elliott was shaken up. While he stayed in the game, it’s customary to at least stretch and prep just in case. Halak didn’t do that.
An early playoff exit with added goalie drama ensures the summer will be interesting in St. Louis. For what it’s worth, Halak has one more year left on his contract with a $3.75 million cap hit.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 8
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39