May 12, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
You may have noticed that Jaroslav Halak wasn’t much of a factor late in the season or the playoffs for the St. Louis Blues. He dealt with a groin injury and was supplanted by Brian Elliott as the starter in the playoffs.
If you thought any of that sat well with Halak, you’d be very wrong.
Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares a story how he and coach Ken Hitchcock had a heated argument outside the Blues locker room before Game 4 against Los Angeles. Halak was reportedly late for a team meeting and the confrontation was escalated by Halak as he got his frustrations about sitting off his chest.
What was Halak burned up about? Rutherford highlights include:
- Not getting the start against Chicago in the season finale
- Being confused by Hitchcock saying he wouldn’t be ready until the playoffs
- Being passed over for Jake Allen following a bad loss in March
Rutherford adds Blues personnel may not have been pleased with Halak’s response to not playing including giving less-than full effort in practices and not preparing to play in Game 2 against L.A. when Elliott was shaken up. While he stayed in the game, it’s customary to at least stretch and prep just in case. Halak didn’t do that.
An early playoff exit with added goalie drama ensures the summer will be interesting in St. Louis. For what it’s worth, Halak has one more year left on his contract with a $3.75 million cap hit.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)