May 12, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
You may have noticed that Jaroslav Halak wasn’t much of a factor late in the season or the playoffs for the St. Louis Blues. He dealt with a groin injury and was supplanted by Brian Elliott as the starter in the playoffs.
If you thought any of that sat well with Halak, you’d be very wrong.
Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shares a story how he and coach Ken Hitchcock had a heated argument outside the Blues locker room before Game 4 against Los Angeles. Halak was reportedly late for a team meeting and the confrontation was escalated by Halak as he got his frustrations about sitting off his chest.
What was Halak burned up about? Rutherford highlights include:
- Not getting the start against Chicago in the season finale
- Being confused by Hitchcock saying he wouldn’t be ready until the playoffs
- Being passed over for Jake Allen following a bad loss in March
Rutherford adds Blues personnel may not have been pleased with Halak’s response to not playing including giving less-than full effort in practices and not preparing to play in Game 2 against L.A. when Elliott was shaken up. While he stayed in the game, it’s customary to at least stretch and prep just in case. Halak didn’t do that.
An early playoff exit with added goalie drama ensures the summer will be interesting in St. Louis. For what it’s worth, Halak has one more year left on his contract with a $3.75 million cap hit.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)