May 12, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
We’ve got “Jason Spezza Watch” underway in Ottawa.
After yesterday’s update from coach Paul MacLean that the star center won’t be ready to start the second-round of the playoffs against Pittsburgh, sure enough he skated in a full practice with the team today in Ottawa. Spezza told reporters after it was good to get back out there.
“It’s been a long process and a long season for me,” said Spezza after practice. “It felt good to join the team again and get some reps in. It may not seem like it and I may not play this year but for me, it’s a small victory.”
MacLean reiterated his stance from yesterday saying Spezza is still a long way off from being ready to play. How far a “long way” is in the playoffs is up for debate. Seeing him practicing, however, is a big step in the right direction to seeing him back in action sooner than not.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)