May 12, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
We’ve got “Jason Spezza Watch” underway in Ottawa.
After yesterday’s update from coach Paul MacLean that the star center won’t be ready to start the second-round of the playoffs against Pittsburgh, sure enough he skated in a full practice with the team today in Ottawa. Spezza told reporters after it was good to get back out there.
“It’s been a long process and a long season for me,” said Spezza after practice. “It felt good to join the team again and get some reps in. It may not seem like it and I may not play this year but for me, it’s a small victory.”
MacLean reiterated his stance from yesterday saying Spezza is still a long way off from being ready to play. How far a “long way” is in the playoffs is up for debate. Seeing him practicing, however, is a big step in the right direction to seeing him back in action sooner than not.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5