May 12, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
We’ve got “Jason Spezza Watch” underway in Ottawa.
After yesterday’s update from coach Paul MacLean that the star center won’t be ready to start the second-round of the playoffs against Pittsburgh, sure enough he skated in a full practice with the team today in Ottawa. Spezza told reporters after it was good to get back out there.
“It’s been a long process and a long season for me,” said Spezza after practice. “It felt good to join the team again and get some reps in. It may not seem like it and I may not play this year but for me, it’s a small victory.”
MacLean reiterated his stance from yesterday saying Spezza is still a long way off from being ready to play. How far a “long way” is in the playoffs is up for debate. Seeing him practicing, however, is a big step in the right direction to seeing him back in action sooner than not.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 12
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)