May 12, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Derek Boogaard’s family filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the NHL on Friday – almost two years after he died – the New York Times reports.
The report provides more details about the suit:
It contends that the NHL is responsible for the physical trauma and brain damage that Boogaard sustained during six seasons as one of the league’s top enforcers, and for the addiction to prescription painkillers that marked his final two years.
Here’s a little more from the family’s lawyer William Gibbs.
“To distill this to one sentence,” Gibbs said. “You take a young man, you subject him to trauma, you give him pills for that trauma, he becomes addicted to those pills, you promise to treat him for that addiction, and you fail.”
The NHL declined to comment on the lawsuit.
Boogaard’s family also filed a suit against the NHLPA for $9.8 million in November, which was eventually dismissed.
You can read more about the suit in the New York Times report, including this statement from Gibbs:
“It’s easy to watch a game and see these guys as superhuman,” Gibbs said. “And they are not.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)