May 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Boston’s defense corps is taking a hit for tonight’s Game 6 in Toronto.
Bruins coach Claude Julien announced Andrew Ference would miss tonight’s game with an undisclosed ailment and that he didn’t even travel with the team to Toronto. The team says he is day-to-day and Julien says his lineup will be a game-time decision.
With Ference out tonight, look for Julien to possibly split up the pairing of Zdeno Chara and Dennis Seidenberg as he did in Game 2 when Ference was suspended. Other lineup issues may force that to happen anyhow.
Making life more difficult is Wade Redden‘s status as he may also miss tonight’s game as well. He missed Game 5 with a separate ailment. Redden was optimistic he would play in Game 6, but that will be determined tonight.
Who slots in if they can’t go? CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty notes Aaron Johnson was paired up with Johnny Boychuk during the morning skate in place of Ference. Meanwhile, rookie Matt Bartkowski was paired with Adam McQuaid in Redden’s spot. Rookie Dougie Hamilton could/should also figure into possibilities.
The window for the Leafs to force a Game 7 is opening just a bit more with these developments.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)