May 12, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues goalie rotation during the 2013 season, causing some contentious moments. Jake Allen‘s claim to more playing time is only likely to increase as he approaches his prime, so how will the team deal with the fact that they have two more options in Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak?
GM Doug Armstrong admitted to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford that the situation is “cloudy” going into the offseason.
Contract situations don’t necessarily make decisions any easier. Allen, 22, is a restricted free agent this summer while both Elliott, 28, and Halak, 27, will become unrestricted free agents after the 2013-14 season.
The reflex is to say that the Blues should trade Halak, even if he’s that much further from his outstanding 2010 playoff run with the Montreal Canadiens.
Naturally, Armstrong didn’t elaborate on that matter. NHL.com’s Lou Korac believes that the Blues will improve their team via trades rather than free agency, however, so perhaps Halak (or even Elliott/Allen) could be moved to improve another part of the team.
Either way, the Blues have some key decisions to make in the near future.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)