May 12, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues goalie rotation during the 2013 season, causing some contentious moments. Jake Allen‘s claim to more playing time is only likely to increase as he approaches his prime, so how will the team deal with the fact that they have two more options in Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak?
GM Doug Armstrong admitted to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford that the situation is “cloudy” going into the offseason.
Contract situations don’t necessarily make decisions any easier. Allen, 22, is a restricted free agent this summer while both Elliott, 28, and Halak, 27, will become unrestricted free agents after the 2013-14 season.
The reflex is to say that the Blues should trade Halak, even if he’s that much further from his outstanding 2010 playoff run with the Montreal Canadiens.
Naturally, Armstrong didn’t elaborate on that matter. NHL.com’s Lou Korac believes that the Blues will improve their team via trades rather than free agency, however, so perhaps Halak (or even Elliott/Allen) could be moved to improve another part of the team.
Either way, the Blues have some key decisions to make in the near future.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 14
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)