May 12, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
St. Louis’ elimination on Friday night provided coach Ken Hitchcock the opportunity to assess who on his team needs to step up and play better. After all getting bumped out of the postseason by the same team two years in a row can give you a good idea.
As Hitchcock told the press after Friday night’s game, he wants more from a particular group of players as the AP’s R.B. Fallstrom shares.
“Quite frankly, we need more from the people that are homegrown,” Hitchcock said. “And that’s something we’ll address the off-season and in conversations with each individual.
“We need the boys we built around.”
That seems like a very pointed criticism and you have to wonder who he’s calling out. Is it David Backes who was tied for the team lead in points in the playoffs with three? T.J. Oshie, Patrik Berglund, David Perron, or Alex Pietrangelo who had two points apiece. Or is it just a sneaky way of assessing blame with a broad brush?
Regardless of who he wants more from, he needs more from all of them. A good team like St. Louis shouldn’t get shoved out of the playoffs so quickly.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)