May 12, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
St. Louis’ elimination on Friday night provided coach Ken Hitchcock the opportunity to assess who on his team needs to step up and play better. After all getting bumped out of the postseason by the same team two years in a row can give you a good idea.
As Hitchcock told the press after Friday night’s game, he wants more from a particular group of players as the AP’s R.B. Fallstrom shares.
“Quite frankly, we need more from the people that are homegrown,” Hitchcock said. “And that’s something we’ll address the off-season and in conversations with each individual.
“We need the boys we built around.”
That seems like a very pointed criticism and you have to wonder who he’s calling out. Is it David Backes who was tied for the team lead in points in the playoffs with three? T.J. Oshie, Patrik Berglund, David Perron, or Alex Pietrangelo who had two points apiece. Or is it just a sneaky way of assessing blame with a broad brush?
Regardless of who he wants more from, he needs more from all of them. A good team like St. Louis shouldn’t get shoved out of the playoffs so quickly.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)