May 11, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
While there’s little doubt that Simon Despres‘ skate blade hurt when it grazed Casey Cizika’s face and neck, the scene could’ve been downright grisly in Long Island in Game 6.
As you can see from this video, the New York Islanders forward could’ve been cut much worse when the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman’s skate went flailing:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Islanders blog Lighthouse Hockey managed to grab a screenshot of the most anxious moment:
Impressively enough, the 22-year-old returned during the first period after getting patched up. Seriously, the “hockey players are tough” folder might need to become a binder.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)