May 11, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
While there’s little doubt that Simon Despres‘ skate blade hurt when it grazed Casey Cizika’s face and neck, the scene could’ve been downright grisly in Long Island in Game 6.
As you can see from this video, the New York Islanders forward could’ve been cut much worse when the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman’s skate went flailing:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Islanders blog Lighthouse Hockey managed to grab a screenshot of the most anxious moment:
Impressively enough, the 22-year-old returned during the first period after getting patched up. Seriously, the “hockey players are tough” folder might need to become a binder.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)