May 11, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
While there’s little doubt that Simon Despres‘ skate blade hurt when it grazed Casey Cizika’s face and neck, the scene could’ve been downright grisly in Long Island in Game 6.
As you can see from this video, the New York Islanders forward could’ve been cut much worse when the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman’s skate went flailing:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Islanders blog Lighthouse Hockey managed to grab a screenshot of the most anxious moment:
Impressively enough, the 22-year-old returned during the first period after getting patched up. Seriously, the “hockey players are tough” folder might need to become a binder.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)