May 11, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
While there’s little doubt that Simon Despres‘ skate blade hurt when it grazed Casey Cizika’s face and neck, the scene could’ve been downright grisly in Long Island in Game 6.
As you can see from this video, the New York Islanders forward could’ve been cut much worse when the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman’s skate went flailing:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Islanders blog Lighthouse Hockey managed to grab a screenshot of the most anxious moment:
Impressively enough, the 22-year-old returned during the first period after getting patched up. Seriously, the “hockey players are tough” folder might need to become a binder.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)