May 11, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
While there’s little doubt that Simon Despres‘ skate blade hurt when it grazed Casey Cizika’s face and neck, the scene could’ve been downright grisly in Long Island in Game 6.
As you can see from this video, the New York Islanders forward could’ve been cut much worse when the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman’s skate went flailing:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Islanders blog Lighthouse Hockey managed to grab a screenshot of the most anxious moment:
Impressively enough, the 22-year-old returned during the first period after getting patched up. Seriously, the “hockey players are tough” folder might need to become a binder.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)