May 11, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
There hasn’t been a World Cup of Hockey since 2004 but it sounds like its return won’t be too far off.
Pavel Lysenkov of Sovietsky Sport in Russia (link in Russian) spoke with Vladislav Tretiak who says the World Cup will make its return in August and September of 2016. If this sounds like news out of the blue, it’s not.
As Dan Rosen of NHL.com reported, the NHL is close to approving a new transfer agreement with the IIHF. Part of that agreement is re-starting the World Cup series. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly spoke about that happening to Rosen.
“We talked about the World Cup and that is included in the terms of our Player Transfer Agreement and the [anticipation] that we will cooperate on something like the World Cup of Hockey,” Daly said. “It’s obviously something we have been talking about with the [NHL] Players’ Association, and I think we have a conceptual understanding with them that we should be in a position to play in World Cups and announce them soon.”
The World Cup of Hockey has only occurred twice in 1996 and 2004. Team USA took home the title in ’96 while Team Canada won it in ’04. The World Cup was the successor to the old Canada Cup which ran from the mid-1970s til the early-90s.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)