May 11, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
There hasn’t been a World Cup of Hockey since 2004 but it sounds like its return won’t be too far off.
Pavel Lysenkov of Sovietsky Sport in Russia (link in Russian) spoke with Vladislav Tretiak who says the World Cup will make its return in August and September of 2016. If this sounds like news out of the blue, it’s not.
As Dan Rosen of NHL.com reported, the NHL is close to approving a new transfer agreement with the IIHF. Part of that agreement is re-starting the World Cup series. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly spoke about that happening to Rosen.
“We talked about the World Cup and that is included in the terms of our Player Transfer Agreement and the [anticipation] that we will cooperate on something like the World Cup of Hockey,” Daly said. “It’s obviously something we have been talking about with the [NHL] Players’ Association, and I think we have a conceptual understanding with them that we should be in a position to play in World Cups and announce them soon.”
The World Cup of Hockey has only occurred twice in 1996 and 2004. Team USA took home the title in ’96 while Team Canada won it in ’04. The World Cup was the successor to the old Canada Cup which ran from the mid-1970s til the early-90s.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)