May 11, 2013, 10:55 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins bumped the New York Islanders out of the playoffs on Saturday, but they didn’t answer all their questions. One significant conundrum is: will they stick with Tomas Vokoun or go back to Marc-Andre Fleury in net for their second-round series against the Ottawa Senators?
So far, head coach Dan Bylsma isn’t telling.
“We’ll enjoy the fact that we got four wins and moving on,” Bylsma said.
Fleury gave way to Vokoun starting in Game 5 of the Penguins’ series against the Islanders. Vokoun won both of his two starts to close out the series, stopping 67 out of the 70 shots he’s seen.
While Fleury, 28, is the team’s franchise goalie, his 36-year-old backup makes $2 million per season in part to avoid meltdowns like the 2012 series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
Vokoun vs. Fleury looks primed to be a question that will entertain fans for a few days, but Ottawa’s situation is crystal clear: Craig Anderson is the man.
(Although that Robin Lehner guy’s pretty promising …)
Nov 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Luke Schenn will take the pre-game skate.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Meanwhile, Adam Clendening will make his NHL debut tonight vs. Calgary.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
The Canadiens are stockpiling blueliners, it seems.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Former teammates at Lake Superior State University, traded for each other.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:13 PM EST
“Mr. Voynov maintains his innocence and looks forward to clearing his name in court. We remain confident.”
Nov 20, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
“I don’t even remember who we play the next game.”
Nov 20, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
Faces up to nine years in prison.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:02 PM EST
The information was out there, the league argues.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
A look at two of the NHL’s most intriguing coaching situations.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
Are the Leafs married to mediocrity?
Nov 20, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
No makeup date announced yet.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 20, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
But the guy head coach Jon Cooper really wants back is Victor Hedman.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:07 PM EST
Prized free agent signing has just one goal in 17 games.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
Nine of 10 against teams that made the playoffs last season.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:19 PM EST
Edmonton lost again last night, and made a number of glaring mistakes in the process.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Wings GM Ken Holland acknowledged he took a gamble.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
Stars take on Arizona tonight.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
Following a listless 2-0 defeat to the Rangers.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:39 AM EST
He’s played nine games for Boston this year.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 14
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 29
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)