May 11, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins bumped the New York Islanders out of the playoffs on Saturday, but they didn’t answer all their questions. One significant conundrum is: will they stick with Tomas Vokoun or go back to Marc-Andre Fleury in net for their second-round series against the Ottawa Senators?
So far, head coach Dan Bylsma isn’t telling.
“We’ll enjoy the fact that we got four wins and moving on,” Bylsma said.
Fleury gave way to Vokoun starting in Game 5 of the Penguins’ series against the Islanders. Vokoun won both of his two starts to close out the series, stopping 67 out of the 70 shots he’s seen.
While Fleury, 28, is the team’s franchise goalie, his 36-year-old backup makes $2 million per season in part to avoid meltdowns like the 2012 series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
Vokoun vs. Fleury looks primed to be a question that will entertain fans for a few days, but Ottawa’s situation is crystal clear: Craig Anderson is the man.
(Although that Robin Lehner guy’s pretty promising …)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)