P.K. Subban says criticism ‘adds more fuel to the fire’

May 11, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT

pksubbangetty Getty Images

Earlier this season, the CBC’s PJ Stock raised eyebrows by claiming that the Montreal Canadiens were far from excited to hear that P.K. Subban was set to join the team again after signing a new contract. Fair or not, Subban has been a lightning rod for criticism quite often in his career, yet he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu that the negativity can give him a boost.

“I actually kind of like it when they talk like that, because it just adds more fuel to the fire,” Subban said.

Subban, 23, will only get to redirect that negative energy toward his offseason regimen. (Then again, the young blueliner will need another contract after the 2013-14 season, so motivation shouldn’t be in short supply this summer anyway.)

It seems that Subban is comfortable with the pressure that comes with being a young, sometimes polarizing star in Montreal. Subban shrugged off criticisms to The Globe & Mail in March.

“Unless someone’s knocking on my door at 3:30 in the morning disrupting my sleep, I don’t get too rattled,” Subban said. “You have to have thick skin playing here. If people want to say they’re hard on me, that’s fine, but I think I’m harder on myself than anything.”

Latest Posts
  1. Agent: Kruger ‘will be patient’ with Chicago’s cap situation

Jul 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Marcus Kruger Getty Images

25-year-old didn’t file for arbitration, hoping instead to sign a long-term contract.

2. Report: Antropov mulling NHL return

Jul 27, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT

Nik Antropov Getty Images

But are any teams mulling his return?

3. Mayers returning to ‘Hawks in front office role

Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT

jamalmayersgetty Getty Images

Where he’ll work as a community liaison.

4. ‘I don’t want to play in the AHL next year,’ says Detroit’s Callahan

Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT

MitchCallahan Getty Images

24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…

5. Still unsigned, Briere contemplating retirement

Jul 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v Colorado Avalanche Vancouver Canucks v Colorado Avalanche

“I’ll have to start thinking about it more and more in the next couple of weeks.”

6. Avs ink former first-rounder Hishon to one-year deal

Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT

Hishon2 Getty Images

Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.

7. Devils GM: Larsson has ‘only scratched the surface’ of his potential

Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Adam Larsson AP

He calls it the six-year, $25 million contract “good for both sides.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches