May 11, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Earlier this season, the CBC’s PJ Stock raised eyebrows by claiming that the Montreal Canadiens were far from excited to hear that P.K. Subban was set to join the team again after signing a new contract. Fair or not, Subban has been a lightning rod for criticism quite often in his career, yet he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu that the negativity can give him a boost.
“I actually kind of like it when they talk like that, because it just adds more fuel to the fire,” Subban said.
Subban, 23, will only get to redirect that negative energy toward his offseason regimen. (Then again, the young blueliner will need another contract after the 2013-14 season, so motivation shouldn’t be in short supply this summer anyway.)
It seems that Subban is comfortable with the pressure that comes with being a young, sometimes polarizing star in Montreal. Subban shrugged off criticisms to The Globe & Mail in March.
“Unless someone’s knocking on my door at 3:30 in the morning disrupting my sleep, I don’t get too rattled,” Subban said. “You have to have thick skin playing here. If people want to say they’re hard on me, that’s fine, but I think I’m harder on myself than anything.”
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 12
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)