P.K. Subban says criticism ‘adds more fuel to the fire’

May 11, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT

pksubbangetty Getty Images

Earlier this season, the CBC’s PJ Stock raised eyebrows by claiming that the Montreal Canadiens were far from excited to hear that P.K. Subban was set to join the team again after signing a new contract. Fair or not, Subban has been a lightning rod for criticism quite often in his career, yet he told NHL.com’s Arpon Basu that the negativity can give him a boost.

“I actually kind of like it when they talk like that, because it just adds more fuel to the fire,” Subban said.

Subban, 23, will only get to redirect that negative energy toward his offseason regimen. (Then again, the young blueliner will need another contract after the 2013-14 season, so motivation shouldn’t be in short supply this summer anyway.)

It seems that Subban is comfortable with the pressure that comes with being a young, sometimes polarizing star in Montreal. Subban shrugged off criticisms to The Globe & Mail in March.

“Unless someone’s knocking on my door at 3:30 in the morning disrupting my sleep, I don’t get too rattled,” Subban said. “You have to have thick skin playing here. If people want to say they’re hard on me, that’s fine, but I think I’m harder on myself than anything.”

1. alicesrightfootesq - May 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM

“I actually kind of like it when they talk like that, because it just adds more fuel to the fire…the fire that symbolizes my desire to act like a complete idiot..”

2. lostone49 - May 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I am in no way defending Subban, but he does get a lot of flak for his comments playing in Montreal. Granted, he does have some maturing to do, but he is a good player. Is he as good as he thinks he is? No, not yet. Not even close. But, playing in Montreal will get everything he says or does blown up even bigger than it really is. Kudos to him for realizing that he needs to improve as a hockey player. W
    ell, in his own weird way at least.

3. ribs108 - May 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM

While he IS annoying, there’s no denying his immense and growing talent. I hope that when the time comes he’ll remember how he was forced to settle for the Canadiens’ lowball offer and say something like ‘I want $8M/season from Montreal, but I’m open to any offer from every other team’. Let’s face it, being freed from Montreal can only help ANY player’s career. Hopefully PK AND Price can escape the ‘most knowledgeable fans’ and fulfill their potential in a less demanding market. Price just said that he’s stopped going to the grocery store ‘cos he can’t get peace from those ‘most knowledgeable fans’ giving him advice whenever he steps out of his abode: (see “http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=670291&navid=nhl:topheads” for interview). Basically, they’re still the same team, but with a HUGE amount of new management staff. The on-ice product? Pretty much the same, small team with no identity that they had before the HUGE influx of management.

4. ironmike778 - May 12, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Who cares. You’re done for the year. See you in October.

5. tlndma - May 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM

So, his own teammates don’t seem to dig his act either? Shocker!

6. longcutskolvikes - May 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM

PK is going to be a great player in this league. Yes his antics can get tedious at times, but I’m glad he’s a Hab!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches