May 11, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Now that Jason Spezza is skating with the Ottawa Senators’ “Black Aces” at practice, everyone in Ottawa is wondering if he might be ready to play in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Sens coach Paul MacLean is making sure to not get anyone’s hopes up as Ian Mendes of Sportsnet reports. Is there a chance he’ll play?
“No, not in my mind,” MacLean said on Saturday morning when asked about Spezza being available for the start of the second round. “I don’t know what the hope is, but he is in a rehab process. And that process has him skating. To me, it’s a long way away.”
Spezza has been out since late January with a herniated disc in his back. It was believed his season was finished after having the operation in February to repair it, but now that he’s returned to skating hopes are rising. Let’s see him get back to actually practicing with the team before thinking he could be back.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)