May 11, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Now that Jason Spezza is skating with the Ottawa Senators’ “Black Aces” at practice, everyone in Ottawa is wondering if he might be ready to play in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Sens coach Paul MacLean is making sure to not get anyone’s hopes up as Ian Mendes of Sportsnet reports. Is there a chance he’ll play?
“No, not in my mind,” MacLean said on Saturday morning when asked about Spezza being available for the start of the second round. “I don’t know what the hope is, but he is in a rehab process. And that process has him skating. To me, it’s a long way away.”
Spezza has been out since late January with a herniated disc in his back. It was believed his season was finished after having the operation in February to repair it, but now that he’s returned to skating hopes are rising. Let’s see him get back to actually practicing with the team before thinking he could be back.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (85)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (38)