May 11, 2013, 2:36 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings are on to the second round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
But nothing about their first-round victory over the St. Louis Blues was a guarantee. The Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, closed out the Blues in Game 6 of the Western Conference quarter-final thanks to a 2-1 win on home ice Friday.
All six games were decided by one goal and all six games were physically punishing. The Kings found themselves down two-games-to-none early in the series, before finding their winning ways that led to their dominant championship last spring.
“It’s not easy,” Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter told NHL.com.
“There was a lot of pressure on our players. I’ve said all year, they’ve handled it really well. They had a tough hole, this series.
“We’re beat up and tired and we’ll practice on Sunday and know by Monday who we’ll play.”
One thing is for sure when it comes to the Kings’ next opponent: there will be less travel.
“I’m going to sit back and watch and see who we play,” Kings’ forward Mike Richards told the L.A. Times.
“Both teams obviously have world-class players and world-class goaltenders, so it’s going to be tough either way.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)