May 11, 2013, 2:36 AM EST
The L.A. Kings are on to the second round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
But nothing about their first-round victory over the St. Louis Blues was a guarantee. The Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, closed out the Blues in Game 6 of the Western Conference quarter-final thanks to a 2-1 win on home ice Friday.
All six games were decided by one goal and all six games were physically punishing. The Kings found themselves down two-games-to-none early in the series, before finding their winning ways that led to their dominant championship last spring.
“It’s not easy,” Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter told NHL.com.
“There was a lot of pressure on our players. I’ve said all year, they’ve handled it really well. They had a tough hole, this series.
“We’re beat up and tired and we’ll practice on Sunday and know by Monday who we’ll play.”
One thing is for sure when it comes to the Kings’ next opponent: there will be less travel.
“I’m going to sit back and watch and see who we play,” Kings’ forward Mike Richards told the L.A. Times.
“Both teams obviously have world-class players and world-class goaltenders, so it’s going to be tough either way.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)