May 11, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
No matter what happens on what’s bound to be an eventful Sunday of playoff action, at least one second-round series is set as of Saturday. The East’s No. 1 seed Pittsburgh Penguins will face the seventh-ranked Ottawa Senators in the semifinals.
These two teams aren’t strangers by any means. One unavoidable storyline will be Matt Cooke‘s forensic study-inspiring hit that injured Erik Karlsson. However you feel about that controversial moment, Cooke is likely to hear it from Senators fans when the series shifts to Ottawa for Games 3 and 4 (and possibly 6).
The two teams have some recent postseason history to boot. The Senators beat the Penguins 4-1 in Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin‘s first career playoff series in 2007. The Pens have gotten the best of the Sens since then, taking the next two series between the two franchises in 2008 and 2010.
Of course, plenty has changed since then. Karlsson has emerged as a key component of Ottawa’s attack, Paul MacLean is behind the Senators bench and the Penguins have seen some key roster alterations.
The Penguins might be the heavy favorites in this upcoming series, but both the Islanders and Senators’ first-round showings suggest that Pittsburgh shouldn’t take Ottawa lightly.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
Dec 19, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Is there a lack of respect among players in the NHL?
Dec 19, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
USA versus Russia on Feb. 15 (7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN).
Dec 19, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Weather forecast is looking good.
Dec 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 19, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Three more games without their captain for the struggling Red Wings.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
St. Louis hosts Montreal tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Expects a sellout on Dec. 27 versus San Jose.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
Rostislav Klesla called up.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
Edmonton whipped Colorado 8-2 the last time the two teams met.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
“You’ll see he’s a very good skating, smart, heady player.”
Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Andrew Alberts will get another shot tonight in Dallas.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
This after he played less than five minutes against Phoenix last game.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
“Things are going well, let’s just let things happen,” said GM Dale Tallon.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
“He’s a young player still, and sometimes you have those seasons.”
Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Flyers host Jackets.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Shakeup time in Detroit.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 13
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 46
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 54
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)