May 11, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Thanks to the Montreal Canadiens getting bounced from the playoffs, a pair of countries are getting reinforcements for the IIHF World Championships.
Alex Galchenyuk (Team USA) and Tomas Plekanec (Czech Republic) are off to Finland and Sweden to join their countries for the remainder of the annual tournament. The timing is good as the preliminary round ends on Tuesday.
Galchenyuk’s rookie season with Montreal was more than solid as he was tied for fourth in rookie scoring with Calder finalist Brandon Saad. He joins the American squad that sits in second place in their group and features his World Junior Championship gold medal teammate Danny Kristo.
Plekanec’s Czech squad is in fourth place in their group. He’s been a top performer for them in the past and they’ll welcome his arrival.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39