May 11, 2013, 12:51 AM EDT
It looked, with five minutes remaining in the third period, like the Detroit Red Wings were well on their way to a solid win over the Anaheim Ducks in a must-win situation on Friday.
That was before the Ducks scored twice in 51 seconds to send Game 6 to overtime with a chance to knock the Red Wings out of the Stanley Cup playoffs in the opening round.
The Red Wings, after coughing up a two-goal lead late in the third period, regrouped and sent the series to a seventh game with a 4-3 overtime win thanks to Henrik Zetterberg‘s second goal of the night.
“Our leaders said, what’s done is done, forget about it,” Red Wings’ goalie Jimmy Howard told the Detroit Free Press.
“Nothing really fazes them. We’ve been through a lot together. We just knew we had to go out there and get the job done. We’d played a hell of a game up until the last four minutes of the third, and I thought we deserved to win and we did.”
Howard wasn’t bad, either.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)