May 11, 2013, 12:19 AM EST
The Anaheim Ducks finished second in the Western Conference standings, but will be pushed to the limit by the Detroit Red Wings in the opening round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Red Wings forced a seventh and deciding game with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Ducks on Friday. The Ducks found themselves down two goals with less than four minutes remaining in the third period, but forced overtime with goals 51 seconds apart.
Henrik Zetterberg scored twice for Detroit, including in the winner.
Zetterberg also had an assist for a three-point night. His teammate, Pavel Datsyuk, also had three points in the win.
The Red Wings’ big-name players were simply better than the Ducks’ big-name players, at least on Friday.
“I think we need more out of Corey, out of [Getzlaf]; I mean, we rely on them,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told NHL.com.
“But we’ve been a four-line team all year long. The Palmieris and the Etems are the guys playing as good as anybody right now. If we can equalize Zetterberg and Datsyuk, I think we’ve got a good chance.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 2
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)