May 11, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks finished second in the Western Conference standings, but will be pushed to the limit by the Detroit Red Wings in the opening round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Red Wings forced a seventh and deciding game with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Ducks on Friday. The Ducks found themselves down two goals with less than four minutes remaining in the third period, but forced overtime with goals 51 seconds apart.
Henrik Zetterberg scored twice for Detroit, including in the winner.
Zetterberg also had an assist for a three-point night. His teammate, Pavel Datsyuk, also had three points in the win.
The Red Wings’ big-name players were simply better than the Ducks’ big-name players, at least on Friday.
“I think we need more out of Corey, out of [Getzlaf]; I mean, we rely on them,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told NHL.com.
“But we’ve been a four-line team all year long. The Palmieris and the Etems are the guys playing as good as anybody right now. If we can equalize Zetterberg and Datsyuk, I think we’ve got a good chance.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)