May 11, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
The concept of a high-pressure Game 7 against the New York Islanders on Sunday probably didn’t appeal much to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They didn’t play splendidly during the entirety of Game 6 on Saturday, but a late charge by Evgeni Malkin helped set up a 4-3 OT win, ending the series 4-2.
Let’s discuss the contest and series.
- Conversely, the Penguins weren’t exactly dominant in an elimination game. Should they be considered about their play, particularly in their own end? Which habits are worrisome and which ones might have a lot to do with the fact that the Islanders boast a dangerous offense of their own?
- Tomas Vokoun‘s now on a two-game winning streak after taking over for Marc-Andre Fleury. Is it best for the Penguins to stick with the hot hand or go with their franchise guy against the Ottawa Senators?
- Evgeni Malkin took over the game late, setting up the tying and winning goals. Does this have the makings of yet another Conn Smythe run for Geno?
- The Penguins go from one scrappy lower seed to another in the Senators. Will Pittsburgh have trouble with the upstarts in Ottawa?
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)