May 11, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
The concept of a high-pressure Game 7 against the New York Islanders on Sunday probably didn’t appeal much to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They didn’t play splendidly during the entirety of Game 6 on Saturday, but a late charge by Evgeni Malkin helped set up a 4-3 OT win, ending the series 4-2.
Let’s discuss the contest and series.
- Conversely, the Penguins weren’t exactly dominant in an elimination game. Should they be considered about their play, particularly in their own end? Which habits are worrisome and which ones might have a lot to do with the fact that the Islanders boast a dangerous offense of their own?
- Tomas Vokoun‘s now on a two-game winning streak after taking over for Marc-Andre Fleury. Is it best for the Penguins to stick with the hot hand or go with their franchise guy against the Ottawa Senators?
- Evgeni Malkin took over the game late, setting up the tying and winning goals. Does this have the makings of yet another Conn Smythe run for Geno?
- The Penguins go from one scrappy lower seed to another in the Senators. Will Pittsburgh have trouble with the upstarts in Ottawa?
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 44
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 121
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7