May 11, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
The concept of a high-pressure Game 7 against the New York Islanders on Sunday probably didn’t appeal much to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They didn’t play splendidly during the entirety of Game 6 on Saturday, but a late charge by Evgeni Malkin helped set up a 4-3 OT win, ending the series 4-2.
Let’s discuss the contest and series.
- Conversely, the Penguins weren’t exactly dominant in an elimination game. Should they be considered about their play, particularly in their own end? Which habits are worrisome and which ones might have a lot to do with the fact that the Islanders boast a dangerous offense of their own?
- Tomas Vokoun‘s now on a two-game winning streak after taking over for Marc-Andre Fleury. Is it best for the Penguins to stick with the hot hand or go with their franchise guy against the Ottawa Senators?
- Evgeni Malkin took over the game late, setting up the tying and winning goals. Does this have the makings of yet another Conn Smythe run for Geno?
- The Penguins go from one scrappy lower seed to another in the Senators. Will Pittsburgh have trouble with the upstarts in Ottawa?
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)