May 11, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings finished off the St. Louis Blues in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, winning the last four games of the series.
On Friday, the Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champions, eliminated the Blues in six games thanks to a gritty 2-1 victory on home ice.
The Kings got off to a less-than-ideal start in these playoffs, falling behind the Blues two-games-to-none to start the series.
- Dustin Penner scored the winner with 0.2 seconds remaining in the second period on a slap shot that was deflected. That’s deflating.
- How good has goalie Jonathan Quick been since blaming himself for both L.A. losses to begin the series? He was nearly unbeatable on Friday. Here’s an example of his stellar play.
- Drew Doughty scored. That’s the first of these playoffs for the Kings talented blue liner. First goal in nine games, dating back to the regular season.
- The refs put the whistles away. Two teams combined for just two minor penalties.
- All six games in this series were decided by one goal. That’s how close it was.
- The Blues had 21 missed shots in Game 6.
- As per the Kings’ official Twitter account, the Kings overcame an 0-2 series deficit for the second time in the team’s history.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)