May 11, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings finished off the St. Louis Blues in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, winning the last four games of the series.
On Friday, the Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champions, eliminated the Blues in six games thanks to a gritty 2-1 victory on home ice.
The Kings got off to a less-than-ideal start in these playoffs, falling behind the Blues two-games-to-none to start the series.
- Dustin Penner scored the winner with 0.2 seconds remaining in the second period on a slap shot that was deflected. That’s deflating.
- How good has goalie Jonathan Quick been since blaming himself for both L.A. losses to begin the series? He was nearly unbeatable on Friday. Here’s an example of his stellar play.
- Drew Doughty scored. That’s the first of these playoffs for the Kings talented blue liner. First goal in nine games, dating back to the regular season.
- The refs put the whistles away. Two teams combined for just two minor penalties.
- All six games in this series were decided by one goal. That’s how close it was.
- The Blues had 21 missed shots in Game 6.
- As per the Kings’ official Twitter account, the Kings overcame an 0-2 series deficit for the second time in the team’s history.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)